Gibson Brands Forums

all you hosers....

saturn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Guess Who had so many big hit songs. Their radio play time was incredible. But their live concert attendance numbers were very low. For some reason people liked their songs on record, and on the radio, but not live in concert. That's a shame, because The Guess Who was a Fantastic live show. Gone but not forgotten. I still listen to them. "Hang On To Your Life", was a great song of theirs. "Shaken All Over", was a Guess Who song on The Who's Live At Leeds 1970 album.

http://youtu.be/K__-YQpjC8s

I should be kicking myself in the arse for days for forgetting to mention a Canadian band that a Newfoundlander and friend of mine in it and that was Chilliwack. They were a 3 piece group for years but in the 80s took on a virtuoso multi-instrumentalist,song writing, musician named Brian "Loud" McCleod.Before Brian took on the Chilliwack gig he fronted an extremely popular local band called Husky and their biggest claim to fame is that they would play the entire Dark Side Of The Moon album non-stop and do a killer job on it.Brian had a '57 Strat in mint condition and a late 60s Marshall 1959 Plexi stack plus a black face Fender Twin.He could nail every nuance of Gilmour's playing and although he was the guitarist of the band he could play many instruments at a virtuoso level.Every Sat. afternoon in the mid to late 70s a lot of the local musicians would hang out in my buddy's music shop to chew the fat and talk about gear-that's how I came to know Brian.

While he was in Chilliwack he started a side project with a great Canadian lady singer named D'Arcy (Mills?) anyway he wrote all the songs and played all the instruments while she supplied the throat destroying vocals.When the Headpins (the name of his fictitious band)album was released,much to their surprise it went to the top of the charts overnight,then went on to Platinum and people started writing the record label wondering when the Headpins were going to start touring.Brian was put in the difficult position to find a group of musicians who were talented and gifted enough to play the demanding guitar and keyboard parts especially that he had recorded.He finally found a group of musicians who could pull off a reasonable facsimile of his playing and they set off on tour with D'Arcy being the only one who had appeared on the album.

Tragically Brian developed an inoperable form of cancer and died on his yacht in British Columbia in the mid 90s.The whole music community of Newfoundland was totally devastated by Brian's death.He was a great unassuming and humble guy with a fabulous sense of humour yet even though he was part of 2 of the most celebrated acts in Canada he talked to everyone just as he did before he became our own homegrown superstar,the fame and fortune never for one second went to his head.

Bruce Cockburn is another great Canadian talent and one of the best fingerpickers around to this day.His first 2 albums were my favourites the first one was simply titled Bruce Cockburn and the second was High Winds-White Sky-they were phenomenal.Another female singer from Montreal,Canada was Melanie Saftka who simply was known as Melanie she was not only an absolutely stunning beauty but had an incredible voice.She was mostly known for her nonsense song-Brand New Key-but she also had some other fabulous songs such as Candles In The Rain(Lay Down),Some Say I Got The Devil,plus she did a fabulous job on her cover of Ruby Tuesday.

Great Canuck musicians.......Geddy, Alex, Neil......

Phil X, Randy Coven (killer bass player), April Wine, The Guess Who, Anvil, surprisingly enough, Sebastain Bach is Canadian.....

And the great Triumph! Rik Emmett!

1363644873[/url]' post='1347564']

Most of all let's not forget that great Canadian guitar virtuoso Keifer Sutherland who is so fabulously,unbelievably talented that Gibson issued his very own Artist model run.

His ex-wife's first husband was one hell of a player...they should make a artist model for him....

Archived