Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Low-Impedance Guitars Club

btoth76

• 2 months later...

Hey Dave, I just came back from the Songbirds Guitar Museum in Chattanooga TN. I noticed guitar that you had posted a while back was there. Tony Mottola's Low Impedance Crest was acquired by them and on display in their vault.

2lQHWVPh.jpg

Edited by Grog
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

As technician i've put my hands for the first time on a Les Paul Recording. The wiring looks like ok and the components in good condition, but the decade control differences are inappreciable, and the bass control make a enormous volume loss. I've tried also connecting the guitar in low impedence directly to a recording desk, no difference.
I've not been able to find good information about this aspect, and i'm not shure if the instrument is a defective one or if is a sort of model's compliant issue.

Maybe somebody here can help me to know more about? 😊

The "DECADE" feature is very hard to hear under most conditions. Using the proper chord with a transformer as close as possible to the amp seems to work best. Dave Gould has explained it better on earlier posts in this thread.

wKwuKtY.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Low-Impedance Guitar Lovers!

If any of you, who owns an early model of a Les Paul Personal one day wants to sell it or knows somebody who wants to sell it, I'd be very happy if you contact me via private message! I am searching the internet for a long time but the early models are just nowhere to be found. 

Greetings and thanks for your help in advance!

Hello & Welcome!

Les Paul Personals  don’t seem to come up for sale very often these days. I watched for quite a few years before I landed mine. Only 370 of these were produced, approximately 50 years ago. Good Luck! I’ll keep my eyes open also.

• 2 months later...

I just received a '72 Triumph Bass in excellent condition, that I purchased online.   Upon plugging it in, I found there is VERY low output when switched to LO impedance, and NO output when switched to Hi.  Am I missing something, or is something (possibly the switch itself) faulty?  I just naturally assumed that ONE of the two settings would yield a fairly normal level signal.  This is the first low impedance instrument I have owned.  Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!   

Mark

This bass has a very high output when the switch is set to “HI”. You can barely hear it without a transformer chord when set to “LOW”. Something is wrong. I’ll attach a shot of the control plate & maybe you can see it anything is missing, like the internal transformer. Without it, the bass wouldn’t work in a standard amp.

BX7aO6S.jpg

Rw26OK0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good evening, I have a problem somebody here may be able to help with. I don’t own one of the classic low impedance Gibson’s, although I have always lusted after the Les Paul recording and triumph basses. I do own an epi Jack Casady. The internal transformer is the issue, it is potted with epoxy and my output wire broke at the epoxy. Right now it is out to someone who may be able to repair it but says 50/50. Epiphone says they can’t help, only authorized dealers deal with parts and repairs. Every authorized dealer in the country says they cannot help me. So my options are getting limited. 

my questions are:

1. Does anyone know if the JC transformer is the same or similar to the classic Gibson models?

2. Does anyone know where to get a replacement part, either new or fabricated?

3. Does anyone have technical info on this transformer to help with fabrication if I cannot get one through the company that manufactures the part?

Thanks in advance for any leads or insights you may have, this has been quite frustrating!

-Mark

Edited by Mr Freddy

I find this rather odd since this is still a current model. I’m not familiar with the Epiphone Jack Casady, just the original LP Sig Bass. I surfed around looking for parts or a trashed bass that might be bought cheap, nothing! The Gibson bass had a variable impedance transformer. If the Epiphone doesn’t have this feature, a standard mic transformer might work. It works on all of the Gibson Low Impedance guitars. If Jack Casady has a web page, you might want to ask him personally.......

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sandbox0 said:

Just a friendly reminder, that I am still interested/searching for a pre 69 Les Paul Personal ... so if someone knows someone, please let me know! 

Many Greetings and thanks for your help. 

Hi, I don't believe that a pre 1969 Les Paul Personal exists. The model didn't really hit the market until 1970. According to my shipping total book, (2) were shipped in 1969 & (222) were shipped in 1970. Mine is actually a 1971. Many of the guitars with pot codes that are identified as '69 are actually '70s, they must have wired quite a few assemblies at the same time.

There are two for sale on Reverb, one claims to be a 1969 but it's unlikely. Both are in nice shape with nice gold hardware.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Gibson Les Paul Personal

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 4:38 PM, Grog said:

Hi, I don't believe that a pre 1969 Les Paul Personal exists. The model didn't really hit the market until 1970. According to my shipping total book, (2) were shipped in 1969 & (222) were shipped in 1970. Mine is actually a 1971. Many of the guitars with pot codes that are identified as '69 are actually '70s, they must have wired quite a few assemblies at the same time.

There are two for sale on Reverb, one claims to be a 1969 but it's unlikely. Both are in nice shape with nice gold hardware.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Gibson Les Paul Personal

Thank you very much for the answer. Its strange because I already saw two Les Paul Personals with the typical pre 1970s neck (so without the Volute). And the ones on Reverb for example have the Volute neck. Maybe I saw exactly the two guitars which existed pre 1970 and these are the guitars with no Volute.

I will keep on searching! The price on Reverb right now is a bit too high in my eyes.

Have a great summer and stay healthy

• 6 months later...

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I've read conflicting information and I want to be sure.

I've had two LP Personals (both long gone). The first one, a friend took the transformer cord apart and built it right into the control cavity so any cord could be used. The second one had the cord. I'm pondering another one, and it does NOT have the matching transformer cord. I've seen several reports of people using a Shure  A95U.  Truth? All good? No other alterations needed?

Thanks for your time.

The Shure A95U works well as is, but you need an unbalanced male XLR to 1/4 mono chord to go with it.  Hosa makes a chord that I’ve bought in the past. The Les Paul Personal actually has a stereo jack for an output jack. The tip is guitar & the extra contact is for the mic if I recall correctly. Mine came with the same chord that was shipped with the Les Paul Professional, but I’ve seen a part number for a different chord that likely came with some of the Les Paul Personals. I’ve never seen one & all of these original chords are hard to come by. I’ve bought a “Y” chord adapter to split off the mic & guitar signals, but the mono chord works fine if you don’t use the mic. My Les Paul Professional was modified with a mic transformer soldered internally also. Gibson changed the schematic in 1975 to show a transformer internally for either the Personal or the Professional. Like Dave Gould always stressed, the shortest chord possible on the amp end gives you the best result.

VmlcIeBl.jpg

Edited by Grog

• 1 year later...
On 6/19/2013 at 11:18 AM, mikef said:

This will probably get me lynched but what do you think about the Ibanez LPR copies? This one is of such a high quality that decades ago I declined to trade it for a real (Gibson) one after playing them both for a couple of hours in the same shop I found the Ibanez. It was in the broken and abandoned back room so I got it for just a few English pounds. Took me a while to restore it but as you can see it's perfect now. I made a pick guard out of perspex (plexiglass) using a LPR picture as a template and the tremolo arm is a strange bigsby alike I found in a junk shop. All the controls seem to do what they should and the sounds are spot on EXCEPT..

1) The phase switch is wired wrongly so that "in" is "out" and vice versa

2) THE BIG SURPRISE is that the decade "switch" has ONLY 3 POSITIONS. All very noticeably different. This seems to match the comments I see about the 11 postion decade on the real ones. Anyone know anything about this? Seems like Ibanez found the same thing and made a mod ??

Just so you know, I am a Gibson fan through and through. My 1962 mint ES175D is the love of my life.

Mike Fpost-57685-076188700 1371636915_thumb.jpg

1 minute ago, Bob W said:

Apologies for this comment, almost a decade late but I’ve only just stumbled across this up thread,  I’ve had an Ibanez ‘lawsuit’ L5S copy for many years, converted to fretless a long time back as it was a pretty shitty guitar. It has a small transformer in the control cavity. Impedance of the pickups before the transformer in 9.4 and 9.5 ohms respectively. After the transformer (ie at the output jack) it reads 3.3k regardless of which pickup(s) are switched in. So the pickups are definitely low impedance.

Interesting…….. I never realized that the Ibanez copies were actually low impedance. The L-5S has always puzzled me as to why it came with low impedance pickups (the first year only), but had no switch to bypass the transformer so it could be played in low impedance. Was it Ibanez the same way? Phot of my control cavity.

129ZDcol.jpg

25 minutes ago, Grog said:

Interesting…….. I never realized that the Ibanez copies were actually low impedance. The L-5S has always puzzled me as to why it came with low impedance pickups (the first year only), but had no switch to bypass the transformer so it could be played in low impedance. Was it Ibanez the same way? Phot of my control cavity.

129ZDcol.jpg

Thanks, seems like it’s a faithful copy, then. Here’s a pic of my control cavity and of the whole thing. It's very well-made and has aged well but was never a player (bought when drunk), hence the fretless conversion. Irritates the collectors but at least means it gets played sometimes.

6259CEB0-8D42-46B8-AEC2-55D4E07EF872.jpeg

DCE72C43-6E6A-4C67-AC7A-59B11665A46D.jpeg