Gibson Brands Forums

The best 12 string for the price

Basshole

If you're looking for acoustic, give the Martin listed in my sig a try. It goes for around $599 now I think, and has a thousand dollar sound. The lower end has a thick and bassy tone while the high end is crisp. The top is solid spruce, and it feels like there's no finish at all on it (I think it's only a very thin layer, thinner than the laquer on some of Gibson's faded models), and the neck is a HPL that looks and feels very much like unfinished wood (without the splinters). And of course it's a Martin, so the high-end craftsmanship is there.

Check out the Seagull 12. They're quite good guitars for the price.

I don't know what to say about Seagulls. I own a Seagull S6+ Folk, which I bought used for my first guitar. In my opinion, they're not bright enough. Even with brand new strings, they sound far too mellow for me. I used to like it in my formative guitar playing years (rofl, I say that like I'm not still in them), but again, the mellow/dark sound just doesn't do it for me any more. After playing some Martins I just can't even pick up my Seagull any more, unless I absolutely need an acoustic sound, or if it's just impossible to play my Les Paul (camping trips aren't very supportive of electric guitar).

Don't get me wrong, my Seagull has a lot of value for me as my first guitar ever, and it was a great beginners guitar, but if you are looking for a high quality sound, I wouldn't recommend it. If there's a Martin in the same price range, I'd definitely pick the Martin instead.

edit: actually, I've been meaning to ask a question about what kind of strings the acoustic players use here. Perhaps my problem with the sound in my Seagull lies in my strings, or at the very least, could help make it sound more like what I want. Anyone know any good strings that will give me a nice bright sound?

Archived