Gibson Brands Forums

SILVER S-310 Restore

Aoresteen

As many of you know, I have a liking for the S-310 series and have a few of them. Last year I bought a trashed silver S-310 from a pawn shop in Orlando Fl as I needed the 5mm bridge pivot screws and the bridge plate for another S-310 I was working on. I had passed on this S-310 many times due to the poor shape it was in. After I pulled the parts I needed I put the Silver S-310 under the bed and forgot about it.

A couple of months ago I realized that silver S-310s are not seen that often. In fact, the only silver one I had ever seen was under my bed! I pulled it out and decided to bring it back to life. It dates from 1988-1994.

Since I didn't have any 5mm bridge pivot screws and the bridge plate I had was very well worn, I decided to make it a hard tail. Using 5mm cap screws I just screwed the bridge plate down and blocked the trem in the back.

For bridge saddles I used Tusq bridge saddles 2 1/16" spacing:

http://www.graphtech.com/product-164-2/

I used a GFS brass trem block that I had machined down 2mm to fit in the S-310. That sorted out the bridge issues. Next up were the tuners. There had been at lest 3 different sets of tuners on the guitars. When I got it it had cheap Squier diamond back tunners. I pulled them and to my surprise the tuner holes were 10mm - too large for the diamond backs. I plugged the old screw holes (18 +) and bought a set of Grover minis for it. They dropped right in and worked great.

Epi310Silverfull_zpsd093107e.jpg

I had Terrapin Guitars make a new pick guard for two humbuckers and a new trus rod cover. For pickups I bought a set of Seymour Duncan P-Rails. They are P-90s, humbuckers, and single coils all in one pickup. It's my second set of them. I do like them! :) I put in a new Fender 3 way swith as the old one was a 5 way and it was trashed as well. There is a mini toggle switch on the pick guard. It's a DPDT ON/OFF/ON that I got from Radio Shack. It lets you pick from P90s, humbuckers, or single coil. A single vol & tone rounds out the controls.

epis310silverheadstock_zps673e8347.jpg

Epis310silverbody_zps438b6c39.jpg

Epis310silvercontrols_zps4989a4f8.jpg

The body has numerous dings like this one:

310silverside_zps0c1848f0.jpg

Shows it's a true 'laminated' adler body! I plan to leave all the dings as is.

This silver S-310 plays very well and sounds great! One more S-310 saved from the dustbin!

Pretty awesome! I like the silver ones. There has been a silver S-310 on my local craigslist for about a year or so. He wants $180 for it. No one wants it for that price, but he wont drop it.

Thanks all! For $180 I'd pass as well. For $75 I'd bite :) !

Archived