Gibson Brands Forums

Began string test..but they don't fit?

merseybeat1963

I picked up a set of Tomastik Infeld Spectrum Strings .012-.054 and finally decided to put them on one of my guitars, a Lowden.

Cut the (pretty new set of Elixers) low E and to my surprise and disappointment, that clump of impressive silk and Bronze won't fit through the pin less bridge !

I quickly called the high end guitar shoppe Guitar Gal that has these guitars and strings, and the lady said forget it,they won't work?

I suggested cutting the silk away at ball & she said it will ruin the string.

She said take the Elixers off and get Newtone Master Class strings,nothing sounds better on a Lowden.

Ok..

So I decide to put the Tomastik Strings on the D42 Martin...which has a pin bridge..but I could not believe it..the E string clump was lifting out the pin and would not stay down.

Its like a bad joke.$20 Strings but they won't fit on guitars? All these reviews and questions and no one mentions it?

This happen to anyone out there?

I got them at Rudy's in NY City..23 miles and $20 in tolls ..

Haven't been through there yet. And who knows if they will even exchange them.

I wrote to T.Infeld and after a detailed explanation and I get one line responses answering very little.

Quite petty they are, but sending them to Austria as they suggest for exchange does not assure that replacement set will fit either.

Considering over priced strings like this probably is not worth the trouble.

Just ordered from Guitar Gal Nashville 6 sets of varing Newtone Masterclass .012 strings.

She considers those to be best strings. Aprox $11.50 a set

No DR Sunbeams..have high hopes for those cause they are made local & are about $6.20 a set, gotta get those elsewhere.

If Tomastik won't fit,I guess I won't be trying them.

Boy. That is a bummer. Strings that don't fit is fortunately a problem I've not hit yet.

If it were my guitar I'd just find some strings that 'fit' and sounded at least 'decent' when I put them on. Then I would leave them on for at least a few weeks & would try different picks if I didn't quite like what I was hearing but mainly would just play the heck out of it. My ears change from day to day.

It has been awhile since I did the 'string search' quest but IME the guitars I've held on to for a bunch of years didn't require much string brand swapping, they did OK pretty damned quick.

Boy. That is a bummer. Strings that don't fit is fortunately a problem I've not hit yet.

If it were my guitar I'd just find some strings that 'fit' and sounded at least 'decent' when I put them on. Then I would leave them on for at least a few weeks & would try different picks if I didn't quite like what I was hearing but mainly would just play the heck out of it. My ears change from day to day.

It has been awhile since I did the 'string search' quest but IME the guitars I've held on to for a bunch of years didn't require much string brand swapping, they did OK pretty damned quick.

I was just so into trying these ridiculously priced strings being the effort they seem to put into making them is really old world craftsmanship...and from Vienna..kind of adding to the brainwash.

Still..at best, I would have used them on only one acoustic of the 4 I have if good ($21 a set)

The expensive English ones which are half the price of those that I have just ordered ($12) are a price Im not all that willing about either..but here come 6 sets..and Im happy about that.

I think the DR Sunbeam as first recommended by Nick..made right near here in NJ are a good bet.I believe those are going to be super.

Was going to do a J.Pearse but Ive read that they are a stiffer string. Thanks

I think the DR Sunbeam as first recommended by Nick..made right near here in NJ are a good bet.I believe those are going to be super.

Was going to do a J.Pearse but Ive read that they are a stiffer string. Thanks

The DR Sunbeams suit me, but they aren't a magic solution for everyone. They maintain a moderately bright tone for a long time, and because they are wound on a round core, they bend just a bit easier.

Though couldn't get them on Lowden & Martin..I managed to keep the low E string pin in enough to get them on to the J200.

Finally..Tomastik Infeld Spectrums on.

Elixir Nano, two of them snapped as I unwound them off tuners !

T.Infeld Strings seemed less loud but more natural in tone. And a big plus..buzzed less with that low action.

Another plus.. very musical when changing fingerings..but less obvious and less up front sounding.

Luxury strings..Feel a little more flexible..Time will tell if that feel holds up.

Elixir brash and more vulger. Amplifys buzz..stiffer..sizzley..bright but makes that J200 Maple sing.

Wife says the same thing.. Elixir's makes the J200 sing.

That buzz gotta go if Im to keep that low action,maybe the strings were too old and is why they are stiffer & buzzy.

When touching the T.Infeld low E before install it feels nice & wobbly...in comparison the Newtone Masterclass which I got 6 various sets & not on any guitar yet,are much stiffer (oh! oh!)

Put EXP D'Addario Ph.Br on Martin D42 Adi/Mad..but still do not like it.

I'll try Newtone & will get a lighter set of T.Infeld to try on that too.

It just may be I don't dig the Martin sound any more. My friend ran through a bunch of Martins last week & they all sounded boreing.

Archived