Gibson Brands Forums

Cable Buzz

Silverbursted

Spent the day jamming with some buds and had the most frustrating experience. I forgot to bring my gig bag with me that has my cables. As a result of my absent mindedness, I had to resort to playing with the cable that came as case candy (Gibson blue cable), and I had a continuous buzz (feedback) coming from my amp. It was so bad, it would even buzz unplugged!!! If it was not for the fact that that cable came with the guitar, and I want to keep all the case candy intact (in case I ever sell it) it would have found it's way to the dumpster.

What cables do you use? I like the Mogamis, but am interested to know what you guys recommend.

I am currently making my own cables... have used planet waves circuit breakers and the gold plated cables with the fat plug (dont know what their name is, but they are kind of standard for planet waves).

I find it curious that Gibson sends those cables (I have heard only bad things about them!) my Telecaster came with a lot of case candy including a cable (strap, cleaning cloth, some stickers, manual, QC card, tools, and even a strat trem arm!), and I am using that cable at home... it doesnt sound bad, does not change my tone, and does not make any undesired noises.

Strange isnt it? It looks and feels like a rather cheap cable... but it seems it is better than those gibson ships with guitars costing double or more.

Mogami makes very good cables, apogee too, and well, you can always buy monster cables... but the ones there's more hype about are Jorge L cables... and they look cool too! Here's the site... they call themselves "the original high-end cable"

http://www.georgelsstore.com/

I'm using Monster's right now. I went for the hype because I had a good recomendation from a co-worker, and (last but not least) I HATE cable buzz, popping, fraying, etc.. I no longer play in a band, and so don't really put cables through the paces I used to, but sounds that come from my amp that are from poor connectivity still really piss me off.

The Monster's I use make me stop thinking about cables, and I like that. I have also heard great things on the LP forum about George L's. I don't know how this will help. Good hunting.

Dimarzio is probably the best value in a high quality cable - heavier gauge center conductor, Switchcraft plugs, shrinkwrap strain relief, lifetime warranty, and very cool mojo from the cloth tweed or colored coverings. The cables are a little stiff compared to others but that doesn't seem to make any practical difference.

Planet Waves cables are more expensive but the little switch end ("Circuit Breaker") works very well. Years ago I had a giant Switchcraft plug with a button on it that shorted the cable when you unplugged it so there's no popping when you change guitars. That old switch plug never worked right, but the new Planet Waves ones are great (so long as you remember that you turned the pushbutton switch off last time you put everything away).

I've heard people rave about the brighter clearer sound of the GeorgeL's cables - haven't tried the long ones but have had good results with their pedalboard short cables.

Guitar Player magazine did a test of lots of high end cables not long ago, they even published the capacitance per foot for each brand.

I've been using George L's but I'm looking for something else. George L's sound great as they don't lose much high end but they don't hold up for crap. On the other hand, my Whirlwinds aren't quite as bright but have been working flawlessly for years.

First Act from Wal Mart rock like no other....

Heavy cable, good sheilding, stout plugs, Very lossless highs and punchy bottoms.

I'm on a budget. Actually my kid showed up with some and I tried them out... Not bad at all...

I am about the el cheapo cables... they are just fine... Not the best but none the less a good sounding cable.

one thumb up!!!

The fekking snobs may disagree, but I'm sure you'll never see them in WalMart like us starving musicians.

I've got a couple of Mogamis.

I wouldn't spend that much for gigging cables, but I'm a home body these days, so they should last me forever.

I'll have to look into those First Acts though. A bargain is hard to come by when it comes to music accessories, and when I made my own I'd spend almost as much as a good store bought costs.

I've been using George L's on my pedal board because I need some odd lengths to make it work the way I want, and it's easy to make custom lengths with the George ends. However, I gotta admit I don't know if there is a sound difference or not. The other problem is the George L's .225 cable is very inflexible so it lays really weird on the floor as a main cable. I am almost tripping over cord loops way too often, so I may need to try something else there.

Archived