Gibson Brands Forums

How to keep the cracking aged on 1983 Lespaul Custom

Divo2554

Nitrocellulous will eventually crack/check like yours did. Keep it "as is" and do not refinish it. Just make sure you always acclimate your guitar when going from freezing cold to warm areas or vis versa.

It's considered a desirable condition by some collectors as being original.

Wow! Congratulations! Very sweet guitar!!!

By the way, isn't it too late to worry about checking? It's already all over. Nevermind! It adds character and vintage value to the instrument.

Cheers... Bence

Regarding flip t00nerz:

Hehe! I wish Gibson was still making them. It's the nice heritage of the Norlin-era (and everyone hates them).

Them things were g4y as hellz.

rct

Living in the North, I see a lot of this finish "checking". The guys in California spotted my instruments immediately and knew they "wern't from these parts". Mostly cause by temperature changes so I'm told. The wood warms up faster than the finish... hence the "checking" (cracking).

i love the cracked nitro look! Is that something that naturally happens over time as well or is it only a result of subjecting the guitar to vast temperature changes. I want the look, but don't want to lave my LP in the car overnight to get it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Are we really still using the word g4y as a derogatory term in 2013? Wow. I have to assume that someone is not entirely comfortable with themselves.

Moving swiftly on... Can anyone enlighten me as to what flip tuners are?

I love that checking, please don't try to "correct" it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Wait, I think I've figured it out from the pics. Is that a winding handle that flips out? If so, what a damn fine idea, bring that back! [thumbup]

Oh my God! What a beauty!!! Congratulations! You're so lucky!!! Creamy Custom with Tim Shaws. Mmmmm... [thumbup]

(Strange coincidence, this week is the 31th year since we have to miss the great Randy Rhoads.)

Cheers... Bence

Guest Farnsbarns

That's not going to happen - Henry spent all the money on R&D for the Mini E-Tune!!

I think tronicalTune did the R'n'd on that but I think you're right, it won't happen. How did that not catch on though?

Are we really still using the word g4y as a derogatory term in 2013? Wow. I have to assume that someone is not entirely comfortable with themselves.

And I'd have to assume someone traded both their sense of humor and their ability to see irony in on some expensive boutique guitars.

rct

Lots of Gibson owners want there new guitars to have that. It's called crazing. It looks cool leave it as is. I would buy a new Gibson case. The newer Gibson guitar cases will protected your guitar "Neck" better. You have a cool looking guitar with a rare finish.

I saw these tuners on a Country Gentleman that I was working on for an old family friend . Never saw them before but they have a cover that flips up so you can get at the adjustment screw hidden inside the knob .

Archived