Gibson Brands Forums

j 35 bridge

levidale

Yes. Intentional, and historic on these rectangle bridges. Same shape on my recent Southern Jumbo, and Jackson Browne models.

Ok thanks I was wondering. The 35 sounds awesome but I seen that and kind of freaked out. Why is it like that?

Gibson builds the bridge like that. The bass strings exert an lot of pressure on the bridge. Especially on the saddle It's the size of the strings and the windings. The windings on the strings try to grab the top of the saddle and pull it towards the sound hole. If you look at your saddle it is buried in the wood on the bass side. The saddle has a lot more wood covering it but if you look the top of the saddle it's the same height as the rest of the strings... Does it look funny? Yes... Does it work ? Yes. If they didn't do this the saddle would tip towards the sound hole and your guitar would play out of tune and it could even split the bridge. Put your scale away and enjoy your guitar all is well. Congrats on a great buy.

Gibson builds the bridge like that. The bass strings exert an lot of pressure on the bridge. Especially on the saddle It's the size of the strings and the windings. The windings on the strings try to grab the top of the saddle and pull it towards the sound hole. If you look at your saddle it is buried in the wood on the bass side. The saddle has a lot more wood covering it but if you look the top of the saddle it's the same height as the rest of the strings... Does it look funny? Yes... Does it work ? Yes. If they didn't do this the saddle would tip towards the sound hole and your guitar would play out of tune and it could even split the bridge. Put your scale away and enjoy your guitar all is well. Congrats on a great buy.

Thanks for your help that makes sense. My 45's are not like that. That's why I wondering. The 45's bridges are a lot thicker so I guess why there not like the 35.

Thank you.

Now you know the reason for the belly bridge on the 45. Your 35 has a straight bridge so it needs a little help.

Gibson didn't use the taper only on rectangular bridges: the belly bridges on the Banner SJs also had the same taper in thickness.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i445/accnick/home%20again/guitar%20part%20details/J-45pins.jpg[/img]"]My link

Another advantage of this tapered bridge design is that it gives an almost constant break angle to all the strings at the saddle, which would not be the case with a constant-thickness bridge.

Gibson didn't use the taper only on rectangular bridges: the belly bridges on the Banner SJs also had the same taper in thickness.

jt, does the belly down bridge on your L-1 exhibit any taper?

To your knowledge, was the SJ's bridge always tapered while it had the belly down style, or did it became flat before Gibson expanded its use to the J-45 and turned the belly toward the soundhole (1949/50-ish)?

By the way, Amazon just sent me an email saying Kalamazoo Gals is still on backorder, and asking whether I wanted to renew or cancel the order. Please let your publisher know so you don't have cancelled orders.

Red 333

jt, does the belly down bridge on your L-1 exhibit any taper?

To your knowledge, was the SJ's bridge always tapered while it had the belly down style, or did it became flat before Gibson expanded its use to the J-45 and turned the belly toward the soundhole (1949/50-ish)?

By the way, Amazon just sent me an email saying Kalamazoo Gals is still on backorder, and asking whether I wanted to renew or cancel the order. Please let your publisher know so you don't have cancelled orders.

Red 333

Red,

The Banner era belly bridges were tapered but I just don't know about the post war belly down bridges.

I don't think that the L-1 bridge is tapered by I've loaned it out and won't get it back for some time.

Amazon. Argh. We should have it fixed by next week. Sorry!

I've often read (and I've repeated) the old saw that the asymmetrical bridge was designed to increase bass response, the theory being that the extra wood on the bass side would be less apt to attenuate bass frequencies (as is often said about necks of more girth). Your explanation makes a lot of practical sense. Thanks, Hogeye!

Red 333

Thanks Hogeye. Now I am a little more educated too. My AJ has always been like this but I didn't know where to ask the question. Instead I went to several music stores and checked other Gibson rectangle bridges. They were all the same..comforting it was, but time consuming.

Archived