Gibson Brands Forums

New David Bowie..

merseybeat1963

I've liked this guys music over the years but Im not a great fan..but Im a big fan of this song & video.

Usually it's all flash & show..not this time. Most real thing he's done.Love it.

Have to agree on all counts, although most of the Berlin references will be lost on people that know neither the city (and its history) nor Bowie's long relationship with it.

I've had this album on pretty much constant play since it came out, and it really is up there with the best he's done. A little over long possibly (although apparently the final cut was whittled down from 29 tracks by three different bands) but there isn't a uniformly duff track, just a few minor wobbles and the high points are just brilliant. I love the fact it manages to reference so many points from his back catalogue - the Low, Scary Monsters and Ziggy references are in there but everything from Lets Dance to Outside and Earthling are in there somewhere - yet it sounds completely contemporary.

Where are we now is a bit of an oddity in the context of the rest of the album, but a beautiful piece of production, really otherworldly and moving.

Er, one thing though - there aren't axactly many acoustic guitars on it!

Well i was about 10 seconds in and thought it wasn't for me..... I'm a Bowie fan for sure

let it play and by half way I liked it....I imagine it's a real grower

Thanks for sharing Mersey...not sure about " the most real thing he's done " comment... and it's kind flash in it's own way ... huge production...it is Bowie after all...No'1 album at the mo apparently

Well i was about 10 seconds in and thought it wasn't for me..... I'm a Bowie fan for sure

let it play and by half way I liked it....I imagine it's a real grower

Thanks for sharing Mersey...not sure about " the most real thing he's done " comment... and it's kind flash in it's own way ... huge production...it is Bowie after all...No'1 album at the mo apparently

I liked it. I have always been a Bowie fan and have seen him in concert on several occasions. I really must check out the new album.

Back when i was learnin' how ta play, this song was one of my faves.

Even now every time I played it for an audience I am asked who's song was that?!?

Still gives me goosebumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LdJX-xga8

I liked it. I have always been a Bowie fan and have seen him in concert on several occasions. I really must check out the new album.

Back when i was learnin' how ta play, this song was one of my faves.

Even now every time I played it for an audience I am asked who's song was that?!?

Still gives me goosebumps.

A great song Bobby.... I first heard it when doing a gig and a guy turned up and done a version..I loved it on that first hearing.

originally a Jacques Brel song in French

Wow, I could only make it 28 seconds into that.

What's up with me?!?

Nothing, far as I'm concerned. I thought the posted song was absolutely horrible. Well, I might have made it a minute. I admire people who have made it and admit, I don't have any records of his, but sure admire what he has accomplished. But if that track is any indication of what the album is, hmmm.

Archived