Gibson Brands Forums

guitar polishes

adelaide aus

Can anyone give some advice on Gibson Pump Polish. Should i use this on my nitro finished traditional Les Paul (black)

I recently used a Fender polish and it left very faint swirl scratches.

Someone told me the Gibson Pump Polish isnt the best for Nitro finishes. Should I use this or is there a better product ?

Can anyone give some advice on Gibson Pump Polish. Should i use this on my nitro finished traditional Les Paul (black)

I recently used a Fender polish and it left very faint swirl scratches.

Someone told me the Gibson Pump Polish isnt the best for Nitro finishes. Should I use this or is there a better product ?

It isn't the polish that causes that, it is the rag and/or any dust wiped around.

There isn't anything in the polishes that causes that, regardless if it is the best polish for the particular finish. Talking polish here, not restorers or rubbing compounds.

I HAVE read of late that often the standard "polish cloths", the micro-fiber ones usually sold at guitar stores do this. I don't know which ones do or don't, but from my own experience, I have had some do that on some of mine. I have some cotton ones that I have for some things I use that don't.

Hopefully, someone who knows more, or knows what particular rags to get and use will stop in for a comment.

Guest Farnsbarns

I've replied in your other thread. Gibson only make nitro guitars and their polish is designed to be used in them. It's fine.

Virtuoso Premium Cleaner & Polish... Clean first with clean soft 100% cotton cloth then polish... [thumbup]

This :D

I did lots of research last year, and I ended up buying the Virtuoso Polish and Cleaner.

I have done all of my guitars with just the polish, and I only use 100% cotton cloths.

I have a few of the Gibson yellow 100% cotton cloths that came with the Gibson pump polish, but I ordered a ton of Planet Waves all cotton cloths.

I bought all of mine from Amazon, but they are out, and only have the microfiber ones now.

Googled them, and here is a place that has the cotton ones.

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/planet-waves-napped-cotton-polishing-cloth-1355.html

Virtuoso Premium Cleaner & Polish... Clean first with clean soft 100% cotton cloth then polish... [thumbup]

AMEN!

Dump the Gibson, Martin, Planet Wave polishes and spend $20 for THIS cleaner/polish. This stuff is superb and works as advertised. I have yet to hear about any unsatisfied user. That says something.

I have some pics from this thread from last fall of my PRS SE Custom 24 with the Virtuoso polish on it.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/91608-ngd-9-11-2012/page__p__1254381__hl__virtuoso__fromsearch__1#entry1254381

I also wipe down all of my guitars when I put them away in their cases on Sunday evening with just the cotton cloth to get any dust off, and they are still smooth from using the polish last year.

Fridays when I get home from work they all come out to hang on my wall so I have easy access to them all weekend.

I use a 100% cotton cloth only, usually an old t-shirt. Clean the guitar with hot breath and elbow grease. If there is a lot of grime on the guitar, you can use naptha and a clean rag to clean. Then, I use pure carnuba wax. It's sometimes hard to come by, but is the cheapest, best wax I've found yet.

I did the exact same thing; used Gibson pump polish and a soft rag. It left swirl marks all over and failed to remove any of the haze or grease. Then I tried Virtuoso with a new cotton shirt. Made it look better than new. Try and you will never use anything else on your nitro.

Also, wipe the skin grease and sweat off after playing with a clean cotton t-shirt to keep the nitro looking good. Do this EVERY TIME. .

As Stein said it was the cloth you used that made the scratches,not the polish.I have used the very polish that you mentioned on all of my nitro-finished guitars with no ill effects.It never ceases to ammuse me that people who are prepared to spend hundreds and even thousands on a guitar and treat them with kid gloves,will cheap out on a polish cloth by using an old pair of skivvies,a towel or god forbid even old jeans.You can pick up either proper polish cloths or cheap lint and scratch-free cloths for pretty cheap.You can damage a finish pretty quickly by using the wrong material to polish it.Once I was wiping some dust off one of my guitar cases with a paper towel when I noticed some dust on the guitar itself.I tore off another sheet of paper towel and lightly wiped off the dusty part under the pickups.After I had done this and held the guitar up to the light I could clearly see the swirling scratches where I had just lightly used the paper towel.I found out after doing a bit of looking into the subject of paper towels,that the very reason why most micro-wave makers advise you not to use paper towels in your micro-waves is that most of them are made from recycled paper and contain minute metal particles.

Archived