Gibson Brands Forums

Info on 1980's ES 335

fender101punk

Stumbled across a black '87 ES 335 with gold hardware locally. I was told it is a Memphis 335. Finding info/comparable 80's 335's for sale is proving to be a challenge. I know these guitars should have Tim Shaw's but I'm looking for more background information. Is the black/gold hardware/memphis a notable model? Looks to be in great condition

Stumbled across a black '87 ES 335 with gold hardware locally. I was told it is a Memphis 335. Finding info/comparable 80's 335's for sale is proving to be a challenge. I know these guitars should have Tim Shaw's but I'm looking for more background information. Is the black/gold hardware/memphis a notable model? Looks to be in great condition

From what I read online, the Memphis factory opened in 2000. If that's accurate, then your ES-335 would have to have been made in Nashville. Gold hardware is likely a special order for a 335. I wouldn't expect too much change in value, up or down, based on that.

Are there numbers ink-stamped on the pickup base plates? That ought to indicate Shaw pickups, again, based on cursory internet research.

Post pics if you have them, sounds like a looker (I dig black ES guitars).

Archived