Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Emperor Swingster Royale Part II

oklatex

Some of you may have seen my post regarding the faulty wiring/switch that caused me to return my new Swingster. American Musical Supply was great and sent me a new guitar, immediately. A really good company.

So, the new guitar arrived today and first thing I noticed was how badly the box was crushed. It made me very happy that the guitar was in an actual Epi box. Though, I would have preferred to have it in a case.

Anyway, in moving the box about, I noticed a rattle, so I thought the worst. What had happened was the tremolo bar was not tightened well enough at the factory and it had come loose. You can imagine how pleased I was

that the guitar body sustained no damage, so the bar probably wasn't flopping around that long. Still, I gave the guitar a very thorough going over. Everything seemed perfect, until I reached for the tone knobs. They didn't look quite right, so I turned on a bright light and was shocked to see that the decals around the knobs were all puckered, wrinkled and not sticking to the body. First I was disappointed that they went such a cheap route, the decals, over an engraved label; but, I would have satisfied if the labels were, at least, put on properly.

All in all, it's not enough to return the guitar over, it's just too nice a guitar and I really don't want the aggrevation; but, it seems to me that, considering both guitars, Epi has a quality control problem at one of their plants. I've contacted support and advised them of the problem and asked them to send me a couple of sets of these decals, as they will probably need replacement a couple of times, in the years ahead. Hopefully, they will come through for me.

Oh, and about the case, I called Gibson/Epiphone and got the information about the proper case. It's the hollow-body case: EMCS is the designation. I checked with all the online sellers and only Sam Ash had the correct cash on hand. $89.00 with free shipping. So, for about 840.00, total, I get a really nice guitar and case and some crappy stickers.........hope Epi takes care of the latter...

That makes guitar number 22, for me. Guess I need to start clearing out a few on Ebay. It's a shame, too, as I have some really nice guitars and haven't the slightest idea which to let go first; but, at 65, it's time to let go of something.........

Have a great weekend.

Jim

You have to sell the ones that don't thrill you any more. It will make for some tough decisions.

I'm in the same place. I've been building guitars that are better quality than the ones I own.

Hard to let go of them even though they get very little playing time.

You have to sell the ones that don't thrill you any more. It will make for some tough decisions.

I'm in the same place. I've been building guitars that are better quality than the ones I own.

Hard to let go of them even though they get very little playing time.

I didn't get into guitars, until later in life. I was injured in an offshore drilling accident and needed something to occupy my hands and mind. Since I always wanted to play, sing or do something musically, I settled on the guitar. Living in a rural community, lessons weren't an option, so I did the best I could, with online courses and books/DVDs. I really didn't accomplish much, as far as skill goes; but, I did manage to build 6 guitars, strats and teles. Since I don't have a formal shop area, I really didn't get things rolling in that direction. Then, I found Ebay........that was my ruination!! I got up to 20 guitars real quick!! Then, someone broke into the house, got nine guitars, three amps, an lcd computer screen, all my wife's jewelry and some prescription meds. About $20,000.00. It was quite a set back.

But, it didn't take long and I'm back up to 22 with samples of Fender, Epiphone, Gretsch, Gibson, G & L, Reverend, Eastwood, Peavey, Alvarez, Cordoba, Carvin and Silvertone. Not to mention the 4 that I have built, that I still own. I've been fortunate enough to give away a couple, to young people interested in learning to play, at our Church. I've go a Mustang V Head with 4x12 cab, Peavey Valve King 112, a peavey Vyper and a Roland Micro Rx for amps. So, as I've said, I've got way too much for a guy that will soon be 65, some of it I think might be collectible, someday. But, I'll give to the grand kids and sell the rest on Ebay. Hopefully, they will get really nice owners that will appreciate them and take good care of them, as I have. Oh, my latest two projects are a jazzmaster with custom wound pickups in a TV Yellow and a see thru black strat with H-S-H Seymour Duncans with split coils. Both are really nice. I've got another strat in the works, probably do a "David Gilmour" on it and while I have no idea what I will do with it, it will be a fun project.

Hope you continue building, as long as you are able....I think, in the long run, that's where the real fun is. Take care.

Jim

Well nice to hear that things settled in for you. Definitely a great guitar, despite the cosmetic issues you see with yours. I guess I got lucky - I have a few minor issues (see my review in the Reviews forum).

Oh so I don't quite understand your case comment, the case has been available at musicians friend all along - and most recently Sweetwater has them in stock now too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/epiphone-emperor-hardshell-guitar-case

Congrats and have a great time with it. I love mine.. (this one makes 17....)

...Epi has a quality control problem at one of their plants....

They used to say that about Qindao, but not anymore. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Swingsters are still made in Indonesia.

Congrats on a(nother) super ax!

Then, I found Ebay........that was my ruination!!

Ha ha! I wonder how many here can identify with that. I sure can. I check new Epiphone listings daily.

Well nice to hear that things settled in for you. Definitely a great guitar, despite the cosmetic issues you see with yours. I guess I got lucky - I have a few minor issues (see my review in the Reviews forum).

Oh so I don't quite understand your case comment, the case has been available at musicians friend all along - and most recently Sweetwater has them in stock now too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/epiphone-emperor-hardshell-guitar-case

Congrats and have a great time with it. I love mine.. (this one makes 17....)

Yes, I checked the case at Musician's Friend; but, because it didn't list this guitar, specifically, I didn't want to take a chance that the bigsby would be a problem and their guy couldn't assure me it was the correct one. So, I called Gibson/Epiphone. Sam Ash uses the Epi model number in their number, so I was sure of the right case.

Might be the same case; but, you never know.

And, yes, it is a great guitar, much richer than my Gretsch 5120, more full bodied.

JIm

yea, it probably is the same case, they did change them recently (when not 100% sure) the old cases did not have the arched top, it was just flat.

if you wind up with the same case as I, you will just have to take the arm off with this case. the rest of the bigsby fits just fine.

There's a case made by Rondo that looks like it is for the same sized body but deeper, that MIGHT fit, but I dunno...

http://www.rondomusic.com/coolcatcase.html

I got the Joe Pass EEMCS - Epiphone Guitar Case for Emperor II case for my swingster royal and its perfect.

Yes, according to Gibson/EPi, this is the correct case and does not require removal of the trem bar.....

What decals are they putting under the knobs on the swingster?

Under the tone pots, the are putting decals that explain the pots function, since the pickups run in either parallel or series. I guess it they didn't think we could figure it out....they really look crappy and it's a shame it's on such a nice guitar..

Under the tone pots, the are putting decals that explain the pots function, since the pickups run in either parallel or series. I guess it they didn't think we could figure it out....they really look crappy and it's a shame it's on such a nice guitar..

Hi Oklatex,

Thanks for the post and participating in the forum. The decals placed on the Swingster and other Epiphone instruments, are not intended to stay on the guitar after purchase. Like static-cling decals on top of pickups or pickguards, the end customer should remove them.

We use this thin, static-cling (rubber-like) material on these to avoid scratches to the surface. And, since it has no adhesive on it we don't have to worry about any residue on the guitar finish. As a result, they can sometimes end up getting wrinkled but we believe it's a far better option than damage to the top of the guitar.

Of course, I'm assuming what you're talking about are the informational labels surrounding the 2 tone knobs in this image below. If not, please let me know.

big%20epiphone%20swingsterDSCN8468.jpg

Thanks again,

Epiphone

Hi Oklatex,

Thanks for the post and participating in the forum. The decals placed on the Swingster and other Epiphone instruments, are not intended to stay on the guitar after purchase. Like static-cling decals on top of pickups or pickguards, the end customer should remove them.

We use this thin, static-cling (rubber-like) material on these to avoid scratches to the surface. And, since it has no adhesive on it we don't have to worry about any residue on the guitar finish. As a result, they can sometimes end up getting wrinkled but we believe it's a far better option than damage to the top of the guitar.

Of course, I'm assuming what you're talking about are the informational labels surrounding the 2 tone knobs in this image below. If not, please let me know.

big%20epiphone%20swingsterDSCN8468.jpg

Thanks again,

Epiphone

Thanks for chiming in Epi1 I was thinking that was what he was referring to and didn't think they were meant to be kept on the guitar but wanted more info before I replied such! Either way congrats on the Swingster, I have one on my hit list!

Yes, I finally figured it out; but, the one on the first guitar were very nice, so I didn't notice they were of a temporary type. So when the new one had really sloppy stickers, and there wasn't anything in the packing to explain what they were for, I wanted to bring it to someone's attention. But, the more I looked at them, the less I liked them and decided to take them off. That's when I realized they were temporary. It looks a lot better, without them, I think that goes without saying; but, they could have mentioned, somewhere, that the things were just temporary. It's like having to go through so many different stores to find the correct case. Each one gave me a different case number, and I even got a few from the forum; but, it wasn't until I called Gibson/Epi that I got the straight info. It just would have been nice if the information would have come with the guitar; or, better yet, the guys selling it would have known which case I needed. But, rather than complain about the little stuff, I will say, once again, this is a really nice guitar and sounds good on either one of my four amps, tube and solid state. It feels good and has a solid feel to it as well. I hope I get to enjoy it for a long, long time......which is a pretty important wish, when you are 65...

Many thanks to all the people and their input. The new case arrives tomorrow and I won't have to worry about my grand children putting a dent in her. Takes a lot of stress out of owning guitars..

Have a great Easter...and God Bless. Jim

Jim of oklatex...

It's not so much enjoying over a long time, but rather greatly enjoying it every moment regardless how long.

Mebbe that's 'cuz 65 seems increasingly young. <grin>

Okay, I ain't yet 70 but... if belief in relative immortality is vanity for the 20, 30, 40 or 50 year old, how much greater vanity is it for us?

Parenthetically here too, perhaps I'll have children and then grandchildren when I grow up. My wife has suggested neither is likely.

m

oklatex.. please let me know regarding this case/bigsby arm thing..

almost positive this is the same case I purchased, I have to remove the arm.

Not a big deal, but I'm very curious what experience you will have here.

thanks!

/Ray

oklatex.. please let me know regarding this case/bigsby arm thing..

almost positive this is the same case I purchased, I have to remove the arm.

Not a big deal, but I'm very curious what experience you will have here.

thanks!

/Ray

Hi Kidblast,

Thanks for participating in the forum. The Emperor Swingster fits into our part #940-EEMCS hard case. As with all Bigsbys, while looking at the guitar in the upright (vertical) position you should rotate the handle counter-clockwise so that the tip of the handle ends up in the about the 7:00 o'clock position. When done, the guitar will fit comfortably into the case. You should not have to remove the handle.

For a listing of our guitars and their corresponding hard cases, visit www.epiphone.com and select "CASES" from the drop-down PRODUCTS menu. Scroll down and there's a CASE FITMENT chart for reference.

Thanks again,

Epiphone

Hi Epi1

Thank you for chiming in. But, this is not the experience I'm having with my swingster or the case.

here's a link to the exact case I bought: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EEMCS

The chet wire will only rotate clockwise back to about 6 o'clock.

This orientation extends the end of the arm to about 1 and 1/2 inch PAST the outside edge of the case. In this situation, you cannot close the case, as the bar is literally hanging outside the bottom of the case completely. Moving the bar Counter Clockwise the arm stops rotating when it's pointing to about 11 o'clock.

I have other guitars with Bigsbys (Elitist Country Gent/Chet Atkins, and an ES-135 that I had a bigsby added to) in both cases ('scuse the pun) the bar on the ES-135 and Chet wire (on the Elitist) are accommodated in the case without issue.

I'm happy to take photos to show in detail what's going on here. The Swingster and the case that is listed as the "proper" case, honestly appears physically impossible to keep the bar on while you case it without risking some damage to the hardware or guitar itself.

Let me know if photos help. at the end of the day, it's not a big deal.. it's a fantastic guitar, this is such a minor issue for me... just becoming curious about what I've read on this post pursuant to this issue.

Cheers!

/Ray

Hi Kidblast,

Thanks for participating in the forum. The Emperor Swingster fits into our part #940-EEMCS hard case. As with all Bigsbys, while looking at the guitar in the upright (vertical) position you should rotate the handle counter-clockwise so that the tip of the handle ends up in the about the 7:00 o'clock position. When done, the guitar will fit comfortably into the case. You should not have to remove the handle.

For a listing of our guitars and their corresponding hard cases, visit www.epiphone.com and select "CASES" from the drop-down PRODUCTS menu. Scroll down and there's a CASE FITMENT chart for reference.

Thanks again,

Epiphone

Yes, today, I found that out. The case arrived today and to be honest, it is one of the nicest cases I have ever seen/owned. I don't know how the faux leather will hold up; but, out of the box, it is outstanding!!

The guitar fits snuggly inside and the latches, except for one, all snap closed tightly!...One of them was a little stubborn buy finally yielded....

Many thanks for the information and if anyone reading this should have any doubts, the case fits perfectly!!!

Yes, today, I found that out. The case arrived today and to be honest, it is one of the nicest cases I have ever seen/owned. I don't know how the faux leather will hold up; but, out of the box, it is outstanding!!

The guitar fits snuggly inside and the latches, except for one, all snap closed tightly!...One of them was a little stubborn buy finally yielded....

Many thanks for the information and if anyone reading this should have any doubts, the case fits perfectly!!!

Hi..

do you or don't you need to remove the chet wire?

Hi..

do you or don't you need to remove the chet wire?

No, you don't. If you move it back as far as it will go, it fits very nicely. There is a "bubble" in the case that allows for the bar. As I said, I'm very pleased.

Archived