Gibson Brands Forums

? Fake 58 LP

Alan Blackburn

Some more pictures of this clapped out wreck

Bad news:

1. The inlays are clearly the wrong shape and not Gibson

2. The frets sit on top of the binding, not the way Gibson does it

3. the truss rod cover had three screw holes (now four) Gibson only does two.

4. the cut-away is the wrong shape.

5. The knobs look like they have metal inserts which are not correct for the year of your guitar.

Those are the obvious problems with this guitar and I'm not even close to being an expert. Just look at the real Les Paul which you say that you own.

8550844492_9df0a24a71.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

I believe this guy is trying to get tips on building fakes. I would suggest no one pass comment on what is wrong with this.

I believe this guy is trying to get tips on building fakes. I would suggest no one pass comment on what is wrong with this.

All he needs to do is look at his "real" 1964 Les Paul for all the tips he needs to make a good copy.

Guest Farnsbarns

All he needs to do is look at his "real" 1964 Les Paul for all the tips he needs to make a good copy.

I think it was BR TOAD who claimed to have a 64 LP but he quoted this chap and entered his reply as part of the quote. BR TOAD is clearly also a liar.

I don't think what makes this guitar a fake or not, it's no longer pertinent.

What matters, is what was the guitar sold as, who did the work, how much money, etc.

The REAL info now would be info of that nature- NOT the guitar. But the story behind it.

If it were me and I had what I know to be a forged guitar or fake, I would be trying to find out the story, and if anything, sharing that in an effort to gain more knowledge.

The shape of the Cutaway looks more like and ESP or LTD to me so not much like a Gibson at all really.

I'm far from an expert, but the cutaway does look exactly like an ESP/LTD... good call.

And, in the OP's other post, he states that it sounds 'brill', or something to that effect... this guitar looks like it was salvaged from the bottom of the ocean!!

Archived