Gibson Brands Forums

What model of guitar will never be in your guitarsenal?

bonzoboy

There have been lots of polls,threads etc. about everyone's favourite,must have and dream guitars but there is one that I have never seen.Is there a model of guitar that you'd absolutely refuse to have in your guitarsenal?

The Fender Jagstang is butt-ugly enough to top the list along with the Gibson Dark Fire-it's got more chrome than a '59 Coupe DeVille which makes it look gaudy. While we're on the topic the entire Fender Pawnshop Series doesn't appeal to me at all.

I wouldn't own a Cort either but that is for ethical reason's not aesthetics or playability.

I would graciously accept any guitar that was given to me. I went back to my parents house for the Easter break and had to leave all my gear at uni. I fished my old starter amp and guitar out of the attic and it really isnt that bad.

I knew a guy who bought a penis shaped guitar from japan and used to gig it. Then as a sign of showmanship the bass player built himself bigger bass version msp_biggrin.gif

The Fender Jagstang is butt-ugly enough to top the list along with the Gibson Dark Fire-it's got more chrome than a '59 Coupe DeVille which makes it look gaudy.

I think you mean the Dusk Tiger, not the Dark Fire... my Dark Fire had almost no chrome on it.

dark_fire.jpg

I sold this one when I bought my R9, and I miss it. :)

Hello!

Nothing with robotic tuners or F-Rose (or any tuning/detuning device).

I like the looks of the Dark Fire. It's nice, but I would prefer it without that built-in gadget.

Also nothing from China.

Nothing that's made from wood that I would rather use for heating.

Cheers... Bence

I'm on the other end of that spectrum there's only a few guitars I even would want anymore and a ton I have no interest in. Almost all metal guitars aren't me I don't hate them per se but I wouldn't play them that goes for all the Ibanez and similar model type's, Ive strangely never played a Ibanez anything that I would bother to take home. I'm pretty picky now I don't won't Schecter's or asian made Epiphones anymore hell none of the weird Gibson reverse V's or holed V's or any of that gimmicky stuff. I also don't want any SG's I have one just to say I do own one but it's rarely played and it's just not a guitar i enjoy playing at all. I have no use for most of the asian made stuff really anymore and I already have way more guitars than I'll ever need so those are probably all out for me. As for the new electronics nope I want a Min E Tune but rather than buying another guitar I just ordered one direct from Tronical and I am going to install it on my 70's tribute studio Gold Top and I'm looking forward to playing with it.

"V" and "Explorer" along with "Mustangs", "Jaguars" and "Jagstangs" from the Big Two come to mind right away.

In fact, when my Strat is sold I prolly won't have any Fender guitars for as far into the future as I can see.

It's really hard to say. It would be easier to say which are on the current short list for acquisition.

Right now that would be:

Wine Red/Gold Studio with 490/498s

I would take ANY guitar for free!! What are you guys nucking futs?!

Anyway, even if we're talking about what kind of guitar I will never buy...i can't do it. I used to hate Tele's...then i bought one and now its probably my #2 guitar.

My point is that my tastes have changed over the years and I expect them to continue to change. As the old saying goes....never say never.

Back around '96, I bought a Washburn Mercury MG 230 Special. It was the first electric I had owned since 1969. After I bought it, I bought an LP Studio, then a '99 American Standard Strat (which the Washburn was modeled after). And after that, six more electrics. I figured the Washburn was really a POS guitar, so I gave it to my step daughter in '98 to encourage her to play. That guitar had been stored in an attic for close to 15 years when I found it, I cleaned it up, put new strings on it, adjusted the action and intonation, and WOW! It sounds better than my Strat! Don't like the playability as much, but my POS guitar turned out to be a keeper.

102_1870.jpg

I would take ANY guitar for free!! What are you guys nucking futs?!

My point is that my tastes have changed over the years and I expect them to continue to change. As the old saying goes....never say never.

A good point, Shred, and one well taken but to answer your question; quite the 'reverse' (ho-ho-ho).

In all seriousness I'm past the point where I would take in any ol' stray just-furra-hello-vit.

I've realised that I don't need more than 2 guitars; one acoustic and one electric - and even two is a bit of a luxury.

Amongst the guitars sitting in my attic there are 3 of the LPs. They've been there since Xmas and I've never once felt the need to bring them down.

If I was given a Reverse "V" (my response in the earlier post) when would I ever get around to using it? And if I'm not going to use it why accept it?

P.

I've realised that I don't need more than 2 guitars; one acoustic and one electric - and even two is a bit of a luxury.

P.

Hello Pippy! That's the truth in it's essential form. Then comes the G.A.S...

Cheers... Bence

You're nucking futs!! Just kidding...I see the point...but what if the reverse V had the sound you were looking for? :) Eh? Eh?

lol

Also, why accept? Well, to try it, and then sell it...make some coin if you don't like it!

[laugh]

Hmmm........I'd strip out the electrics and put them in one of my '70s Jap LP copies.

That would ruin one guitar and make the other "non-original" therefore reducing it's collectability into the bargain!

I have actually been given a few guitars over the years but, as they were given to me free, when I've parted with any of them I, too, have given them away.

What goes around comes around.

I do know that there are some (otherwise sensible) people here who like their Rev'V's. I'd offer it to one of them.

Hello Pippy! That's the truth in it's essential form. Then comes the G.A.S...

Oddly enough, Bence, I don't get GAS anymore.

I DO occasionally see stuff that makes me go "OOOH!" - such as EE's Tal Farlow the other day and Tim's Tweed Victoria amp - but I'm not even thinking about getting anything else. Marmalade through the 2x12 M-M and my G-J f-hole archtop get used an awful lot when time allows. Nothing else (save my wee tweed-lookalike) has been touched this year.

And yet, I'm happy!

[smile]

P.

Archived