Gibson Brands Forums

What model of guitar will never be in your guitarsenal?

bonzoboy

I'd say as Duane did in terms of Strats and Teles - but it's not that they're X or Y, but rather... I dislike Fender necks. I've never had my hands, btw, on a Martin neck that gave me GAS. Never had my hands on a Strat or Jazzmaster that did anything for me at all.

But to stay away from "brand names," since my schtick is playability with what I do, I'd say nothing with a shorter fingerboard radius of 12". Not a Les Paul. Not an archtop with more than a 16-inch lower bout. Not a solidbody with a glass/plexiglass body. (I actually had one of those in the early '70s to fix up and resell.) Not anything I can't comfortably play in public while sitting on a chair or bar stool, which leaves out most of the more specifically radical "stand up and howl" designs.

m

I think there are looks and there is feel and there is sound.

For me to say "no" I would have to try the thing because by sight alone there are plenty ugly ones out there.

I have tried and disliked, please don't be mad, the ES-335. I just didn't feel comfortable sitting with it and the bulk...nonono.

By contrast, I didn't think much of Teles and tried one and was like, "wow, this sounds cool!" Didn't feel bad on the hands either.

PRS guitars with that paint that screams, "look at me I am so so pretty," makes me think..."LIBERACIE" But I bet they play well, or so everyone sais. I'd rather not be seen with something that girlie.

Izzy...

I totally get you on the 335 although I've two at that configuration and like them.

Back in the '60s I was playing a big, now long-discontinued Rick that was so big I could have played nude on stage and folks woulda thought I was wearing shorts and an athletic shirt. I'd not likely try to buy one just like it and I don't think it was popular.

The 335-size body fits me well for certain material, poorly for others.

m

Im a V guy, But when it comes to my V's I like the traditional V's but, I've played on all 3 of these guitars and they where the most uncomfortable and ill designed I've ever seen....

Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX:

52482.jpg

This guitar's output jack is a stright input, and is located on the inside of the V, which means you cannot sit without crunching your input, Also, all the dean V's have really slim necks which i dont like.

Jackson King V™ KVXT

2916402521_frt_wmd_001.png

This guitar, the pickups where just way to strong, and way to slim of neck, just not my thing, it felt to light too.... it didnt have a very versatile sound

B.C. Rich Kerry King V

Kerry-King-V-KKVGT.jpg

This guitar just was not my thing. the paint, the electrics, and the fretboard not having any markers. and the neck was also to slim for my liking.

I have played all 3 of these guitars at my local respectable music stores, And I can confidently say I would never own any of them. Gibson Traditional V designs all the way!

Anything "V" - no love there.

All pointy headstock shred machines - yea... nuff said.

Parker Fly - IMO abominations!

Firebirds - Not a fan, reverse or otherwise

PRS - never played one I had the least bit of interest in owning, then I see the price tags, and need medication.

Martins - just can't cozy up to the neck profiles, for me they play like bulldozers.

ANYTHING Gothic - don't like the look at all

Jaguar/Mustangs or mutations there of.

Any Ibanez with the wizard profile neck. Too thin for me. But I will cozy up to a good ol' Iceman, Destroyer, Artist, or one of their pre-RG Superstrat style guitars from the 80s (like Gary Moore used).

A fancy 10-top PRS. I like PRSs a lot, but those 10 tops with all of the abalone inlays and **** just turns me off. I'm not Santana or Prince.

Steinbergers. I shouldn't have to explain.

Any guitar with an automatic tuning system or some kind of strange digital technology. I'm sure there's a lot more.

Otherwise, all bets are off.

Any Ibanez with the wizard profile neck. Too thin for me. But I will cozy up to a good ol' Iceman, Destroyer, Artist, or one of their pre-RG Superstrat style guitars from the 80s (like Gary Moore used).

A fancy 10-top PRS. I like PRSs a lot, but those 10 tops with all of the abalone inlays and **** just turns me off. I'm not Santana or Prince.

Steinbergers. I shouldn't have to explain.

Any guitar with an automatic tuning system or some kind of strange digital technology. I'm sure there's a lot more.

Otherwise, all bets are off.

Hello!

Nothing with robotic tuners or F-Rose (or any tuning/detuning device).

Cheers... Bence

+1. My first real guitar was an USA-Made Kramer with a Floyd Rose, and changing strings and tuning it was a total pain in the arse.

Conversely, if you can't tune a guitar by yourself, you probably shouldn't be playing.

+1. My first real guitar was an USA-Made Kramer with a Floyd Rose, and changing strings and tuning it was a total pain in the arse.

Conversely, if you can't tune a guitar by yourself, you probably shouldn't be playing.

i was just thinking, tell that to piano players... i've watched those things being tuned: does not look like fun. :)

'What model of guitar will never be in your guitarsenal? Even if it was given to you.'

Apart from all those pointy headstock and wrongo V-shaped nightmares.......

A 1960s HOFNER. A WATKINS RAPIER.

I had a Hofner. Please don't tell me they are really great because...they ain't. I know. So I'm being negative, sorry.

The modern ones are over-priced but are made a lot better.

And I tried a 7-string too. I'm no George van Eps, no-one is, and I can't use it.

I can certainly agree with people who don't like Floyd Rose etc. vibrato systems.One thing about them in particular that I don't like is that the locking nut in these systems fully negates the ability to do behind the nut bends,which I frequently use.I don't like the way the arms function anyway,I guess that I've used the Strat and Bigsby vibratos for so long that I've become so comfortable with them that the Rose just doesn't suit me.A few years ago a young guitar player I was giving lessons,brought down his guitar for me to do a string change on.The guitar was one of the shredder type guitars with the Floyd Rose.Even though I had changed thousands of sets of guitar strings in my 40+ years of playing,this guitar was a complete mystery to me,I had no idea whatsover what to do or what procedures I had to follow.Finally I suggested that he go to another guy I had given some lessons to years earlier because one of his guitars was the same as the young fella's guitar.

BTW: I had gotten the Dark Fire and Dusk Tiger mixed up in my initial post and it should have been the Dusk Tiger that I didn't like the looks of.The Dark Fire is a handsome guitar save for the robotics etc. which would be a turn-off for me.

BTW: I had gotten the Dark Fire and Dusk Tiger mixed up in my initial post and it should have been the Dusk Tiger that I didn't like the looks of.The Dark Fire is a handsome guitar save for the robotics etc. which would be a turn-off for me.

i liked the look as well, and the combination of P90 and Burstbucker. it was a wonderful player too, electronics aside.

I would take ANY guitar for free!! What are you guys nucking futs?!

I would take a free guitar to practice on fret removal and install, scalloping the fret board, changing the body or headstock style. I still have my first electric guitar. A Memphis super strat. One bridge humbucker, one volume. I practiced my routing capabilities, and routed it for a recessed Floyd Rose. Needless to say, I need more practice. I thought I had a pic, but no luck.

My first good electric was an Ibanez RG550 in Desert Sun Yellow. Kept it for 10 years. Once you learn how a Floyd Rose works and how to set it, it's not that hard. Just takes a little more time. I have no problem changing guitars on the fly. Short or long scale, neck radius, thick or thin neck. Trem or hardtail. Don't matter. I love all guitars. But I probably wouldn't want another Memphis! [biggrin]

I have tried and disliked, please don't be mad, the ES-335. I just didn't feel comfortable sitting with it and the bulk...nonono.

PRS guitars with that paint that screams, "look at me I am so so pretty," makes me think..."LIBERACIE" But I bet they play well, or so everyone sais. I'd rather not be seen with something that girlie.

I agree on the 335. I wanted to get the Lifeson 355 model but it just didn't feel right for me. I'm 5'8", so that may the reason. That's why I was sooooo happy when Gibson came out with the 339. It's very comfortable. As far as the PRS, I don't think mine has that Liberace look...

prs_front.jpg

Archived