Gibson Brands Forums

AGF thread on Gibson J200

Lefty Guy

Taylor acoustics play very much like an electric guitar. Low action, quick necks and clean, efficient sound.

Martins are full and balanced and average (I have a 1958 D-28 and it is a good sounding guitar and that is it.)

Gibsons are hit and miss. Even the best ones, however, do not sound like the others and that is what is either irreplaceable or confusing to the player. I've been lucky and have good ones (though I've played even better ones in some cases.)

The prices frustrate many and if I was going by what I've seen and heard in GC, I'd be dumping more on them, for sure.

Personally, I love the hostility. I chuckle and stare at pictures of Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Keith Richards, Emmylou Harris...and think what a shame they don't know about Taylors.

Pitar: "If you intend to fingerpick them with bare fingers or fingernails you can forget about fun." That's odd, I was just listening to some Rev. Gary Davis, and HE seemed to be having a pretty good time plucking away on his SJ-200. BUT THEN...what did the good reverend ever know about finger picking some ragtime blues?

Pitar: "If you intend to fingerpick them with bare fingers or fingernails you can forget about fun." That's odd, I was just listening to some Rev. Gary Davis, and HE seemed to be having a pretty good time plucking away on his SJ-200. BUT THEN...what did the good reverend ever know about finger picking some ragtime blues?

Or John Hurt, for that matter.

James Taylor didn't do too bad with a J-50, either.

Yeah, those Gibsons really suck for fingerpickin'.

I know I sure like my SJ-200 and all of my Gibsons! And I'm not the "Steve" guy over on that wacky forum!!

Steve

That`ll be me, the "Steve guy over on that wacky forum"! On the whole I like the great majority of the threads that get posted there, many of which cover interesting topics. However from time to time you get some like this, that completely knocks Gibson. luckily there are a few of us, from here over there (EuroAussie), standing up for the brand.

As for me I just plain prefer Gibson over Martin, they suit my needs better, but I wouldn`t want to knock another for their brand preference.

Steve.

Just saw the thread. Typical of what one often finds there. For some people ignorance truly is bliss. I would bet good money that most of these people have never owned a Gibson and their complete "Gibson knowledge" consists of what they read in threads like that. Too many of their anti-Gibson comments indicate they know very little about guitars. All they know is to "follow the leader."

And yeah, you've got to love the brain surgeons that claim Gibsons are no good for fingerpicking. Those claims always remind me of this video.

Yep, the AGF has about 6-8 members who's word is law there and countless sheeple recanting their every word, lest we forget we're by and large talking about manufactured musical instruments, an awful lot of serious chat, endless tonal properties conversations followed by some clips of high end owners struggling through some G, C & D... Not that I consider my own skills to be much to write about, but jesus wept, the last thing you should be doing is lording it over people online with endless sermons if it's not too well backed up with the skills.

It may sound uppity (not really what I'm going for) but there's an awful lot of the AGF crowd who'd be better actually playing the guitar for a while instead of talking about it.

* I am however massively amused at the bashings certain brands take there, only to see these hallowed boutiques up for sale all the time, these beautiful (read that as sickly looking modern ornate jobs) one-of pieces that are just a masterclass in what guitars should be... yet here they are up for sale, curious that.....

Yep, the AGF has about 6-8 members who's word is law there and countless sheeple recanting their every word, lest we forget we're by and large talking about manufactured musical instruments, an awful lot of serious chat, endless tonal properties conversations followed by some clips of high end owners struggling through some G, C & D... Not that I consider my own skills to be much to write about, but jesus wept, the last thing you should be doing is lording it over people online with endless sermons if it's not too well backed up with the skills.

It may sound uppity (not really what I'm going for) but there's an awful lot of the AGF crowd who'd be better actually playing the guitar for a while instead of talking about it.

* I am however massively amused at the bashings certain brands take there, only to see these hallowed boutiques up for sale all the time, these beautiful (read that as sickly looking modern ornate jobs) one-of pieces that are just a masterclass in what guitars should be... yet here they are up for sale, curious that.....

Take a look at the 'best headstock' thread. So many boutiques with the most hideous designs imaginable, astonishingly crass.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289736

EA,

THANKS for that link to the AGF thread! I think it helped me understand how much credibility to assign to the AGF. Or GBF (Gibson Basher Forum) as I now think of it.

7 pages, I looked at every picture posted and only saw one, out of, I'd guess, a hundred head stocks was a Gibson - an L5.

Now, I'm not interested at all in boutique anything, including guitars. I don't like micro-brewery beer. That said, some of the head stocks were, of course nice: some classics, some understated artistic even Art Deco, without being fruity. But some, mostly "boutique" I'd guess, were past hideous. Sort of frightening to keep in your closet or under your bed. ... Makes me wonder if the entire guitar was as scary. Of course, I will conclude with the standard " I'm all for everyone buying what they like. To spend their own money otherwise would be foolish."

That`ll be me, the "Steve guy over on that wacky forum"! On the whole I like the great majority of the threads that get posted there, many of which cover interesting topics. However from time to time you get some like this, that completely knocks Gibson. luckily there are a few of us, from here over there (EuroAussie), standing up for the brand.

As for me I just plain prefer Gibson over Martin, they suit my needs better, but I wouldn`t want to knock another for their brand preference.

Steve.

Steve, - And, this'll be me. I called the forum wacky. You like the, "great majority of the threads that get posted there". Fair enough. I'll watch it closer for a bit. If I feel differently, I'll say so. RE: I don't prefer one maker over another. I like guitars.

Steve

This is why I initially asked in another thread if AGF was a Taylor-sponsored forum. It read that way to me.

You were all much more 'polite' in my thread. Ha ha. Here's where I find the real scoop.

Any idea which artists the folks at AGF revere? Asking because I'm not familiar with who in the pro league plays a Taylor?

Or do these folks not pay attention to the sounds around them?

I would think people on this board either enjoy or at least have deep respect for Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins, Keith Richards, Gram Parsons, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen (J-200 for Nebraska), James Taylor, Neil Young (did Neil ever play a Gibson? I know he played a Martin), John Martyn, Leo Kottke, Richard Thompson (and his Lowden)...

and that's just the rock / folk line... I'll leave it to others to follow the Country line, where I'm more familiar with the singers...

This is why I initially asked in another thread if AGF was a Taylor-sponsored forum. It read that way to me.

You were all much more 'polite' in my thread. Ha ha. Here's where I find the real scoop.

Any idea which artists the folks at AGF revere? Asking because I'm not familiar with who in the pro league plays a Taylor?

Or do these folks not pay attention to the sounds around them?

I would think people on this board either enjoy or at least have deep respect for Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins, Keith Richards, Gram Parsons, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen (J-200 for Nebraska), James Taylor, Neil Young (did Neil ever play a Gibson? I know he played a Martin), John Martyn, Leo Kottke, Richard Thompson (and his Lowden)...

and that's just the rock / folk line... I'll leave it to others to follow the Country line, where I'm more familiar with the singers...

Neil Young and Tommy E seems to be the perenial AGF favourites ..... dont mind them (we even cover a Neil song), but a bit of a yawn if you ask me after a while.

Archived