Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo TV demo

JuanCarlosVejar

Sounds like another 'sporting thumb' example from Tony until he gets the pick out and starts doing that little Bluegrass pice. Thats when the SJ seems to hit her stride, great tone.

But for the life of me those Tulips just done work on the Slopeys, get some beans on that SJ plssss...

Sounds like another 'sporting thumb' example from Tony until he gets the pick out and starts doing that little Bluegrass pice. Thats when the SJ seems to hit her stride, great tone.

But for the life of me those Tulips just done work on the Slopeys, get some beans on that SJ plssss...

You you said it.

You're a tuner nazi, EA. They really don't bother me at all, I think they look way better than rotomatics.

Almost anything looks way better than rotomatics, IMHO. I really like the individual Kluson-style with white oval buttons on my '43 SJ re-issue. Just seems right for the guitar.

Almost anything looks way better than rotomatics, IMHO. I really like the individual Kluson-style with white oval buttons on my '43 SJ re-issue. Just seems right for the guitar.

My friend has just order an SJ TV - should arrive late this week/early next week. Can't wait to give it a go :)

While I do think tulips belong on Hummingbirds I'm quite happy to see them on this SJ as the rotomatics on my J45 are the only feature I think could be better.

Almost anything looks way better than rotomatics

So true. For some reason the neck binding and banner combo bother me too. Would it be too difficult to leave that off? Maybe a small pick guard and a straight bridge? How about just doing a pearl block logo instead of the banner? Why are we sticking banners on things that don't need banners??

So true. For some reason the neck binding and banner combo bother me too. Would it be too difficult to leave that off? Maybe a small pick guard and a straight bridge? How about just doing a pearl block logo instead of the banner? Why are we sticking banners on things that don't need banners??

Why are people annoyed that gibson would issue new guitars with historical appointments and features they own as they see fit?

If they want to make banner kazoo's they can, wether you buy one or not is the only choice you're affected by in the whole process. If they put banner guitars in the hands of plenty at different price points it only stands to further increase the snob value and price of the originals. Everyone's a winner.

If they want to make banner kazoo's they can, wether you buy one or not is the only choice you're affected by in the whole process. If they put banner guitars in the hands of plenty at different price points it only stands to further increase the snob value and price of the originals. Everyone's a winner.

I want a banner logo that says "Only a Gibson is Glued Enough", to celebrate Gibson's historical attention to interior detailing.......

And j45nick, you said a mouthful about interior detailing! I think it's falling on deaf ears, just as in the '60s & 70's.

Actually, my two Bozeman guitars are very, very clean inside. My L-00 Legend has a couple of nice, subtle hide glue drips on the inside, perhaps in the interest of hysterical accuracy. [biggrin]

My 1948 J-45, however, meets up with my expectations for my proposed new Gibson banner slogan, as do a lot of older Kalamazoo guitars I've seen. On the plus side, you don't worry about them coming apart for lack of glue.....

This is probably a stupid question(and not relating to the video).....what are the differences between a Southern Jumbo and an Advanced Jumbo? I've read that the SJ is a sister to the J-45, what does that make an AJ(as opposed to the 45)be? And again, the differences?

Teer

This is probably a stupid question(and not relating to the video).....what are the differences between a Southern Jumbo and an Advanced Jumbo? I've read that the SJ is a sister to the J-45, what does that make an AJ(as opposed to the 45)be? And again, the differences?

Teer

In brief, the AJ (Advanced Jumbo) is a long-scale (25.5") rosewood guitar; the SJ (Southern(er) Jumbo) is a short-scale (24.75") mahogany guitar (standard version), like the J-45. All three share the same body shape.

... All three share the same body shape.

Approximately. I believe that careful measurements will reveal some slight differences between the AJ and the J-45/SJ, a slightly narrower waist and slightly longer body IIRC. I know for sure different lasts are used.

-- Bob R

Approximately. I believe that careful measurements will reveal some slight differences between the AJ and the J-45/SJ, a slightly narrower waist and slightly longer body IIRC. I know for sure different lasts are used.

-- Bob R

I should have said: "all three have a similar body shape."

Archived