Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo recording

livemusic

the problem is he plays bluegrass tecniques and plays in a style that doesn't favor the gibsons ... many people have asked the guys at the acoustic letter to play different styles but they say that they play the same junk over and over again ... I find that dumb but I think you should take a chance . I think Tony is a Martin guy more than a gibson guy given his bluegrass background .

JC

This video has been posted here several times recently, and yes, I think it's a great-sounding guitar. It also happens to pretty much sound like my Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue would sound if somebody decent were playing it, instead of me.

I was pretty startled when I got the SJ (2007 model, but apparently not played very much), as it actually sounds better in some ways than the old 1948 J-45 I've owned for the last 45+ years. So much for vintage quality......

Part of that may be the red spruce top of the SJ vs. the sitka top of the J-45. Top bracing is quite different as well, since Gibson re-topped my J-45 in 1968.

In any case, the SJ TV looks to be a great guitar, although as usual, Gibson combines a lot of features that may never have appeared together in any single "true" vintage Gibson.

Still waiting for a TV Legend. Maybe the Kalamazoo Gals version will be close to an SJ Legend, if that ever happens.

Archived