Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nibs

Please Help!

Hi, I'm new here [thumbup] - I picked up a guitar Gibson Les Paul and noticed this very small split near fretboard and neck - the rest of the guitar is mint - no scratches, dings or dents - how could this have happened?

Also seems to be groove along fretboard/neck like a split could occur in the near future- maybe this is just a bad one perhaps?

Please help - or guide me to the right luthiers.

Thank you.

nibs

post-54831-097483000 1364481609_thumb.jpg

Looks like a gouge to me, and not a split that will meander.

I agree with you, looks like a split...of course, I do not have 20-20. How long have you had the guitar? Was the "split/gouge" present when you bought it? Has it moved/changed since you noticed it?

That mark looks like an 'after the impact' mark where the weakest wood will give. Take it to a qualified Luther; they are around. Wood is a study to itself. My cats, my guitars, my girls.... nine pages later my name might appear down the list.

I'm with FZ Fan. Get it taken care of either way. It's a stress crack, caused either by whiplash or impact. The pitch of Gibson headstocks, which can make them more prone to damage when stressed, is also a big part of the tone of a Gibson vs. say, Fender. Notice that Fenders require string trees to hold the strings in the nut - no pitch to the headstock. That's where the 'springy' sound of the Fender comes from rather than the deeper, richer sound of the Gibson. That's not a knock at Fender, each does it's own thing equally well and neither can do what the other does. It's not a design flaw or defect either. If it doesn't get dropped, it won't break.