Gibson Brands Forums

Please Help!

nibs

Hi, I'm new here - I picked up a guitar Gibson Les Paul and noticed this very small split near fretboard and neck - the rest of the guitar is mint - no scratches, dings or dents - how could this have happened?

Also seems to be groove along fretboard/neck like a split could occur in the near future- maybe this is just a bad one perhaps?

Please help - or guide me to the right luthiers.

Thank you.

nibs

post-54831-040634700 1364481808_thumb.jpg

Looks man made to me, someone slipped with a screwdriver or something. If it isn't messing up yer playing I wouldn't worry about it. If the seller is a store you could return it if it bothers you.

rct

Looks man made to me, someone slipped with a screwdriver or something. If it isn't messing up yer playing I wouldn't worry about it. If the seller is a store you could return it if it bothers you.

rct

It hasn't had any knocks at all.

Could it be fretboard separation ie. bad environment, humidity, heat or something?

Guest Farnsbarns

I'd be more worried about the bad finishing of the side of the fret board and the nasty looking fret sprout. What model is this? Could you post more pics of the whole guitar?

It hasn't had any knocks at all.

Could it be fretboard separation ie. bad environment, humidity, heat or something?

I don't think so, guitars don't do what that picture is of, that picture looks like a gouge in the wood, not a separation. It looks like someone was maybe messing with the aforementioned fret issues and slipped with the file. Maybe. Would be nice to get a look at it.

rct

Return it and get a different one. If it was at a store, it probably just picked up the gouge from being handled.

It is still a playable guitar, but if you can replace it with a mint one at no cost, why not?

Thing is it is a split not a gouge - it isn't surface only - it has appeared from mint to being stored in bag to this appearing.

Guest Farnsbarns

OK, my concern was that we might be looking at a fake but it looks OK to me in those picks. I wouldn't worry about the gouge but but if it's a recent purchase, return it. If not, or if it plays so well you don't want a different one then just live with it. I have a 58RI with a dodgy bit of workmanship in the fret board, it has a very slight hump between f14 and f15 on the base side. I never play the low e string that far up the neck and even then, you can't feel it from playing, just a visual thing, that guitar plays so well I wouldn't return it even if I were going to get 2 back.

Fretboards certainly do separate/split from the neck. Even the fingerboard can split (last pic in the G string area). Over the last few years there's been several posts here. Two pieces of wood with different moisture content glued together can lead to this kind of trouble. Most happened after the 2010 flood - improperly dried wood. Some of the damage looked a lot worse than the pics below. Those were covered by Gibson as warranty replacements. You say it's a split - I believe you - take it back or exchange.

DSC_4609_zpsd29aeec3.jpg?t=1348197373

DSC_4607_zps3ce35bfb.jpg?t=1348197372

DSC_4604_zps5e537e63.jpg?t=1348197504

IMG_0398-1.jpg

rct asked if you bought it at a store. To get warranty coverage you have to be the original owner. Buying a used guitar or a "new" guitar from a reseller (like on fleaBay) negates the warranty for a secondary purchaser. The warranty is not transferable.

If you are the original owner, your guitar would have to be inspected at an Gibson authorized repair shop before a determination could be made. Regarding the warranty coverage I mentioned: There were several that showed up here on the forum, some were covered, some weren't. Those that were covered, had, from the pics posted, such damage that obviously resulted from improperly dried wood before assembly. In one of the threads, this was commented on by a Gibson rep who mentioned Gibson was aware they had a problem at the factory with drying the wood properly. The pics I posted could easily have been caused by improper storage (too dry, too hot, etc).

If your guitar is used, the situation might be stabilized by injecting some glue into the split - see your shop/luthier.

It should also be pointed out that a lot of times what appears to be contruction crackage and such is actually finish cracking, and they don't warrant that.

I can't say it enough, where did you effing buy it?

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

I think my R6 came under the umbrella of improperly dried post flood. It turned out the entire body was curling up. They agreed to replace it but the one they sent had been rejected within .25 of a second of the case opening. There was s big knot on the fretboard that could be felt when fretting. Gibson were apparently adament that it was fine, thankfully my dealer agreed with me and eventually, after some negotiation, they let me leave with the R8 and took on the fight with Gibson. I think they lost it as some months later they called me to ask if I had the COA as it had been sold but they were missing the COA. They must have either replaced the board or sold it at a huge discount. It how's to show, having a long term relationship with your dealer can pay off when you need it.

Sorry RCT - a return (used mint condition) from UK shop - over a year ago.

So just to clarify - If this guitar has just had this appear from mint - NOT any knocks, gouges etc - This can also happen from:

1. Flood damaged wood

2. Environment (hot, cold, humid, dry etc) - causing fretboard separation.

3. Gibson - Bad craftmanship (glue etc)

Is that the reason this has occured? -

I really need to know this before I contact the seller.

Sorry RCT - a return (used mint condition) from UK shop - over a year ago.

So just to clarify - If this guitar has just had this appear from mint - NOT any knocks, gouges etc - This can also happen from:

1. Flood damaged wood

2. Environment (hot, cold, humid, dry etc) - causing fretboard separation.

3. Gibson - Bad craftmanship (glue etc)

Is that the reason this has occured? -

I really need to know this before I contact the seller.

I think these are all possibilities, as well as none at all. I say this because while the pics are rather good, it's really, REALLY hard to be able to tell. It really would take an expert eye, even in person.

The "used, mint condition" is...what does that mean? Does it mean it was a return or a trade in? Returns could be sold as new, or used. Generally, returns, even though someone else has tried them or had them and decided it wasn't perfect, is still considered a "new" guitar because it isn't considered to have been sold. But that doesn't mean the dealer can't decide for himself it's gonna be sold as a used guitar.

Yep in mint condition - it didn't have the split when sold - been in bag since hardly played at all.

Lol...that's not really the question.

It depends on what the "deal" was between you and the dealer. He could have sold it at a considerable discount, but as a "used" guitar, as in, no warrenty or anything like that. An "as is" type of thing. Completely fair for them to do so.

The dealer could have also sold it as "it's been used a bit, but it's still 'new', and we'll give it a discount". Also, completely fair.

As for the cracks, I'll give my opinion, but it means NOTHING.

I think 2 years or so is a little soon for cracks to start. I wouldn't expect it. 10 years, or even 5, yea.

But, I don't think they are that bad. What you have there, I would say doesn't matter, nor does it effect the value. But the question is what WILL happen from here. Because the guitar isn't that old, it certainly is a sign that something significant could develop. But, I would not want to guess if it will or not. Maybe it won't. Maybe it will get a little worse, but only a little.

I might point out that while uncured wood or wet wood might be the cause, it isn't an all or nothing problem. It could very well have that issue, but not to a great degree that won't cure itself with time.

what would you do stein - try and get it returned - fixed professionally - or leave it?

nibs

Well, here again, that all depends on what the "deal" was with the dealer, and how much I paid, etc.

Which, I DON'T know what that is for you.

If it were ME, and I had paid very little for it, OR bought it "used", then I wouldn't expect the dealer to have to do anything, or feel I wanted to hold him to it.

I wouldn't feel bad if I was on my own or hold it against anyone (dealer, Gibson, etc) if that were the case. Things happen. Some thing you can't predict or expect others to, so there is no feeling of hetting "ripped off".

So..if THAT were the case, I would not consider it something I had to follow up with or concern myself with. Just let what happens happen...maybe play the hell out of it. I wouldn't give it special treatment.

So, on the other hand, if I had paid a substantial amount, or had a deal where I expected service, I would put it on my "crap to do list", and take it to the dealer, and maybe a trip to a repair place, to have it documented at least. Maybe let the dealer see it and see what they say.

I wouldn't assume it was going to get worse, I wouldn't assume it's really a lemon, but I would at least keep the question open to that being a possibility. So, therefore, let the dealer in on it.

But of corse, remember, I DON'T know even if there is a problem with the guitar or not. I am basically giving an opinion about a "what if" that may or may not be the case.

Short answer: If you are on your own regarding what you bought, there is nothing to do. If you have a warrenty, or expect one, go see the dealer and maybe FIND OUT if and what is happening.

I don't think the dealer will be of much help. The way I see it someone bought the guitar from the store which makes them the first owner. Later they returned it and you bought it, makes you the second owner of a used guitar. No warranty. But I could be totally wrong about that and only you know the answer to the deal you made with the store.

Not withstanding all that - I'd have a luthier look at it and have them evaluate what, if anything, needs to be done. Personally I be concerned over a fingerboard separating from the neck on any guitar.

Archived