Gibson Brands Forums

Help ID this PAF! Gibson or something else?

neilshane

I got this pickup today for $10. Any thoughts on whether this is an actual Gibson '57 Classic? I know these things are pretty easy to fake. I just figured for $10 I'd take a gamble!

Thank you!

Might well be a '57. Have you got any way to measure the DC resistance of the pickup? If it's near the '57 then it could well be authentic; hard to tell. It certainly looks like it's been used and abused in its' life.

Can't see someone having given away an original '50s PAF for so little; if that's the case and it works you'd be incredibly lucky.

Thanks Pesh! I initially got excited and thought it might be vintage, but on closer inspection, it's not. At least based on a comparison of Google images. No tool marks on the feet and appears to be wax potted. I don't believe any of the originals were. I plan to install it in my Eastman AR371CE.

Thanks Pesh! I initially got excited and thought it might be vintage, but on closer inspection, it's not. At least based on a comparison of Google images. No tool marks on the feet and appears to be wax potted. I don't believe any of the originals were. I plan to install it in my Eastman AR371CE.

Right you are about the wax potting, Neil! Originals didn't even consider microphonics; the Burstbucker range by Gibson, with exception of the Burstbucker Pro; are not wax-potted pickups. the '57 Classic and co are wax-potted.

Archived