Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Gibson RB-500 Banjo ??

This is my first time posting to the Gibson forums. I recently discovered and bought an old Gibson Mastertone banjo from an old farmer who had stored this instrument away in his attic, until I found it while installing some electrical wiring in his old farmhouse. It has the original 'Lifton' hardshell case as well.

I was hoping the staff here at Gibson could assist me, maybe pull some old records, and tell me who custom ordered this banjo, and also if you can confirm it as being a RB-500.

Serial Number: 348150

Finish: Tobacco Sunburst

Wood Rim: Has a stamp 'KK' (could this be referenced to Kel Kroydon?

Tone Ring: Arch Top

Other Identifiers: 'Mastertone' and 'Custom'

There is no Gibson label inside the wood rim (an appraiser told me that some older Gibsons did not have labels?) Pictures link below:

My link

Here is also a youtube link of me playing it, after I tightned the head, replaced the strings, and the old brittle bridge. Listen to how long it rings after I'm done playing:

I have been told by two appraisers that it is rare, and the checkerboard binding along the sides is an extra custom feature once offered by Gibson banjos.

Everywhere I play this, it becomes a conversation piece, although many have different ideas of what is actually is.

So I came here, in hope that the Gibson crew can help me out.

Thanks!!

Archived