Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Les Paul Custom Tuning Heads

#1 User is offline   Harout 

• Group: All Access

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

Hello,

I am about to purchase a 1973 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. It is in very good condition but there is one thing that is worrying me.
The Tuning Heads are Grovers (Pic 1). Were some '73 customs made with these Tuning heads or they were all made with a rectangular tuning heads (pic 2).

The person selling it says the guitar is in it's original condition.

Your thoughts and advice please.

Thank you

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

View PostHarout, on 09 May 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

Hello,

I am about to purchase a 1973 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. It is in very good condition but there is one thing that is worrying me.
The Tuning Heads are Grovers (Pic 1). Were some '73 customs made with these Tuning heads or they were all made with a rectangular tuning heads (pic 2).

The person selling it says the guitar is in it's original condition.

Your thoughts and advice please.

Thank you

If you can get a better pic of the headstock to see if there were screw holes from the "possible" vintage style tuners, you might have a better idea if a mod was done or not. I know that Grovers and the pearloid head old-style tuners have different locations where they are fastened with their screws... The thing that would bother me more is not if these are original, but if there are marks from the originals such as screw holes - possibly if the old impression was visible too... Either way, see if you can get a better look and go from there. It really doesn't look like the older style tuners were used before - to my eye.
Typos courtesy of iPhone

...I just tell my wife I have been gifted with great taste in guitars

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users