Gibson Brands Forums: Serial # check/ build questions - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Serial # check/ build questions

#1 User is offline   s6275 

• Group: All Access

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:05 PM

Good evening! I recently acquired Steinberger GS #N13272. Metallic blue, set up/ rebuilt by Babicz.

I have been told it was built in Newburgh and is maple-bodied...but information I have found seems to indicate it is alder-bodied, and built in 1991, which seems to place it in the Nashville era. Can Gibson confirm any of these details? Thanks!

#2 User is offline   s6275 

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:30 PM

View Posts6275, on 23 September 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

Good evening! I recently acquired Steinberger GS #N13272. Metallic blue, set up/ rebuilt by Babicz.

I have been told it was built in Newburgh and is maple-bodied...but information I have found seems to indicate it is alder-bodied, and built in 1991, which seems to place it in the Nashville era. Can Gibson confirm any of these details? Thanks!

Anyone?

#3 User is offline   squege1 

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:18 PM

Hello- Im pretty confident that your GS is Newburgh made. If your serial number puts your build date as a 1991 the Steinberger factory was still in Newburgh until 93 even 94 I believe.
Joe

#4 User is offline   Be.eM 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:39 AM

View Posts6275, on 23 September 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

Hi,

your guitar has been built on May 31, 1991, which clearly is within the Newburgh era. According to the 1991 price list the GS body was made of "imported and domestic hard woods". No way to tell for sure, if you can't see the body (or a part) without finish. Later (in Nashville) body specs changed, there were swamp ash, poplar, even mahogany back with figured maple top and other woods mentioned in lists and catalogs, however, I'm not aware of any reliable list or rule to know.

Bernd

This post has been edited by Be.eM: 02 October 2018 - 05:39 AM

Steinieland (European Steinberger Users)
Bernd's Guitar Pages

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users