Gibson Brands Forums

Gotoh 510UB/Lightning Bolt replacement positioning

Guest MarriottLuvr

Guest MarriottLuvr

Hi guys,

I have a 2015 LP Jnr with the Lightning wraparound fitted. I'm replacing it with a Gotoh 510UB which I use on a PRS I have and find it an excellent unit. The posts are specific to Gotoh so I can't use the Gibson originals. The inserts are different threads and diameters so I had to pull them and plug the holes which has been done successfully. I'm at the point of drilling the new mounting holes now.

I hadn't realised how different the bridge designs are in terms of their saddle positioning. It really looks to me as though the holes will have to be set at a different length from the neck to have the saddles correctly placed. I know I can set the bridge up temporarily for correct intonation with a dummy tailpiece but I just wondered if there was anyone out there who had already done the conversion and perhaps found that, despite what it appears, the positioning turned out to be the same.

Guest MarriottLuvr

Yes. The fit on the posts is atrocious. The lean forward of the original bridges are well documented and there is a surprising amount of side to side movement too. The intonation is fixed and optimised for a set of 10s. I use it for slide with 12s so I prefer to have a slightly higher setup which again affects intonation and I like to level off the strings to less than the 12" radius which is less intrusive if you have a bridge with individual saddles which can be replaced cheaply. It's not that it's really bad at all, I just want to make it more flexible and keep that original lightning bar so I can more easily put it back to stock. The Gotoh bridge is a very usable unit at a fairly sensible price rather than the other favourites with the "money is no object or I'm an also ran" crowd.

Archived