Gibson Brands Forums

Classic 57 (non plus) from 498t

jc0r

Hi all

I have a Gibson 57 Classic (non plus) that is currently not in any guitar. I own an Gibson SG Standard that I am thinking of putting it in at the bridge position, but am worried the stock 490r in the neck might overpower it. Although I don't have a massive dislike towards the 498t, I do prefer Alnico II over V for my style of play.

I believe the 490r and 57 Classic are of similar output, not knowing much about electronics, after watching a video on YouTube by Lollar Guitars I got hold of a multi meter and set it to 20k ohms and got a reading of 8.17 off the classic. As the 490r is currently wired into the SG, I got strange readings of 4.0 on both neck and bridge, I assume this is because it is currently installed. Does anyone know how the 8.17 will compare to a 490r or any other suggestions to what I have said would be welcomed :)

Many thanks

Jc0r

• 1 month later...

I have had a similar situation.I installed a 57 classic and a classic plus in an Epiphone LP.The classic plus overpowered the classic so much that I could not balance it out by adjusting the height.I took the classic out of the neck position and installed a 490.the 490 neck and the 57 classic plus work well together.I had purchased the 57 classic from Musicians Friend and I do belive that it had something wrong with it as I have tried it in other guitars withm the same result.

JLHooker

• 1 year later...

Hi all

I have a Gibson 57 Classic (non plus) that is currently not in any guitar. I own an Gibson SG Standard that I am thinking of putting it in at the bridge position, but am worried the stock 490r in the neck might overpower it. Although I don't have a massive dislike towards the 498t, I do prefer Alnico II over V for my style of play.

I believe the 490r and 57 Classic are of similar output, not knowing much about electronics, after watching a video on YouTube by Lollar Guitars I got hold of a multi meter and set it to 20k ohms and got a reading of 8.17 off the classic. As the 490r is currently wired into the SG, I got strange readings of 4.0 on both neck and bridge, I assume this is because it is currently installed. Does anyone know how the 8.17 will compare to a 490r or any other suggestions to what I have said would be welcomed :)

Many thanks

Jc0r

If the pickups are installed you can measure the ohms by selecting the desired pickup and turning the volume control up full. Then you put a patch lead into the output jack and measure the ohms across tip and sleeve.

Archived