Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Custom

squirtle

Hey squirtle--

This sort of question has come up in a couple other places in the forum, and the current answer is that the Gibson Custom Shop technically isn't a Custom Shop anymore, if by that you mean a place where they do one-of-a-kind single guitar orders. I guess this practice stopped for the most part several years back. I think the minimum size order for a custom guitar these days is twenty-five.

One different option for you could be to find a reputable guitar luthier who works in finishing and refinishing guitars. Once you find someone you trust, you could work with him or her to develop a plan and then you could buy, say, a new satin ES-335 or a solid and inexpensive used one and have it refinished exactly the way you want. It won't be cheap (which is why I say buy a used or satin finish guitar--you get a quality instrument but don't then pay for a fancy finish that you are trying to undo), but it would be worth it if you really want the color. I've seen a couple refinished ES-335s, and they have turned out nicely. Someone who knows how to do the job right will also know how to preserve the binding on the guitar as well--or perhaps even install some binding more to your liking.

By the way, if you buy new, keep in mind that a refinish job will definitely invalidate your warranty. Another reason perhaps to look for a good used guitar instead.

Another option, of course, is to buy another line: Heritage Guitars, for instance, are made in the old Gibson plant in Kalamazoo by several of the old Gibson luthiers, and they just started making guitars again within the last few months after a business re-organization. They might be able to make a custom job to your specs, and you would still get Gibson-quality workmanship and mojo in the instrument.

Ignatius

Archived