Gibson Brands Forums

Cornell 335 - Anybody?

bviviano

Hello All,

I have a LP traditional and am having the wants for a 335 in the worst way. Very early player and its for my home enjoyment only. Curious if anyone has tried the new Cornell version and what their impressions are? I really like the flat black finish and am considering it. Not really that experienced to know what the effects of the Lollers and Grover tuners are - Thoughts? Not that many options to try 335's locally that I have found. all of the GC stores have a satin cherry in stock and they feel great, love the 57 classics tone. Wishing I knew of somewhere to try a few differnt versions and feel it out.

BV

I am not crazy about the color on the Cornell or the Bigsby on an ES-335. Although costly this might be a better buy for a custom ES-335.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-ES335PG-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CJ70_OeGiLcCFUdU4AodoxIAvQ

Another example:

Love my 335!

Both great choices... Thanks for the ideas. I wouldnt want the Bixby either. Certianly feel and tone are number one, but I would like a custom 335 with 57 classics, block inlays, additional head stock inlays (diamond pattern) in flat black - not asking for much am I? lol Anyone want to chime in on the lollars vs 57 classics - perceptions?

Both great choices... Thanks for the ideas. I wouldnt want the Bixby either. Certianly feel and tone are number one, but I would like a custom 335 with 57 classics, block inlays, additional head stock inlays (diamond pattern) in flat black - not asking for much am I? lol Anyone want to chime in on the lollars vs 57 classics - perceptions?

Well, me again. The '57's sound awesome. That is what I have in my '59 ES-335. I had a LP Traditional a few years back with Burst Buckers in it. Never did warm up to those. The 57's are just warm, round, fat, sweet, etc. Greg Koch does a great demo on a '57 equipped 335 in the link I posted above. Not too many shops are going to have a Memphis or Nashville 335 for you to play so you have to find someone with one or rely on online demos for tone.

I bought mine from Wildwood with the implicit understanding that if I did not like it for any reason, I could return it for a full refund no questions asked. I think you must have this guarantee when you spend that much money for something sight unseen/unplayed. I am not a rich man so I put in on layaway. After 4 months, I was about to make my last payment when I started to have Les Paul envy again. I called them up and asked if I could trade it for a different guitar of the same value. "Sure" he said. I was looking at a 1957 Gold Top Custom.

Told my tech I was having trouble making up my mind. He said "Tell you what, I will go play them side by side and give you my opinion." A couple hours later he calls back and says, "This ES-335 is the best sounding humbucker guitar I have ever played. A couple of the other guys played it and they agree. Get what you want but if it were me, I would stick with the 335." I took their advice and surely do not regret it.

I personally like the dots over the block inlays. Just looks more classic and vintage to me. Personal pref. Another bonus on this guitar is the width across the top. This allows me to sit and comfortably pay with out having to prop up my foot or use a strap.

Call the boys at Wildwood or some of the other high end dealers. You may find some LP's at local shops that have the '57's also. I like 'em!

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers,

Woolly

Personal opinion as ever...

The Cornell looks terrific and the concept is spot on... [thumbup]

I would have one as an addition to a collection which already included a '57 335...(Dot preferred for exceptional VFM)

The Lollars IMO would go well with a hollow like the 'you know who' brand... <_<

The ES 330 would be worth a comparison...a well loved guitar with a broad tonal palette and dare I say a whiff of the S/C twang redolent of the 'you know who' brand also... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree with Versatile, this CC-335 is very unique and absolutely Rock! The Olive Drab Green and the Lollartrons are a "never seen before" exclusivity and it comes loaded with a Bigsby at a lower price than the common models. I just ordered mine, before they run out. \:D/ It is way over my budget but I went for it. I know that I will not regret it. I also had a crush for the Black one but the green is so original that I went for it! I always wanted to try a Bigsby anyway...

And don't read me wrong, I don't care about Chris Cornell, I'm not a Soundgarden fan and I did not even knew the guy before I started to read about the Guitar. I just think that it is an amazing Gibson! I am not looking anymore for a DG-335, they finally produced something to answer my need for rock and originality, and I don't like the Trini headstock (yes, I said it!)... So if I have to chose between a CC or a DG-335, I go for the CC! B)

Archived