Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement Tuners for an S-300 ?

M0rtis

Hello everyone! I own a 1994 s-300 strat. It is not staying in tune. The tuners appear to be missing some plastic bushings most likely from age. I'm not the original owner.

I've looked at a few websites, and have yet to see a suitable replacement.

If anyone has had luck with doing this I'd like to know what type they used. I'm not afraid to drill out the holes to make them bigger.

Thanks for reading!

post-63570-028298400 1393703391_thumb.jpg

These are some originals on Ebay: My link

Unless you desire to use original replacements, I would watch Ebay for a good deal on a set of Sperzel locking tuners, or some other brand of locking tuners. Sperzels require a 10mm peg hole. It is very easy to accidently blow out the backside of the pegholes when drilling them out, so care must be taken. It helps to use a backing block when drilling, or to bevel (countersink) the the holes to 10mm before drilling.

These are some originals on Ebay: My link

Unless you desire to use original replacements, I would watch Ebay for a good deal on a set of Sperzel locking tuners, or some other brand of locking tuners. Sperzels require a 10mm peg hole. It is very easy to accidently blow out the backside of the pegholes when drilling them out, so care must be taken. It helps to use a backing block when drilling, or to bevel (countersink) the the holes to 10mm before drilling.

Thanks Creekster.. I went to the local Guitar center to see if the Fender ones would work. [They don't]

Like these: http://www.amazon[dot]com/Fender-099-0818-100-Locking-Tuners-Chrome/dp/B000L6GD04/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

31Pd%2BX9d9uL.jpg

I'll keep looking, but if anyone has a suggestion .. that'd be great.

SOLVED! Went to my local Guitar center.. they have Ping P2652 6-in-line Screwless Mount Geared 6-left/Chrome Electric Guitar Part in stock.

Fits perfectly.

Although they are not locking tuners.. I'll worry about that on my next "new" guitar. ;)

Archived