Gibson Brands Forums

About that L4 & elusive cc pick-up

archtop tom

Hi guys, the L4 saga continues! Convinced not to mod the L4 for the CC pup and made a serious offer awaiting reply, but this all brings up some specific questions:

Right now I've got the excellent cond. '51 L-48 (NOT 47 as I spaced out when I was writing). Original goal was to add a vintage Gibson CC p-up 24.75" archtop. Just a lifelong dream - have to have that sound (and look). In that case would keep the 48 acoustic.

Looks like the pre-war ES150 was the CC model, but not finding anything in that spec - it's all post-war, full-scale with P90. Found a 125 w/dog-ear P90 at an out-of-state Guitar Center. Only one front photo that looks very CLEAN and the price is very interesting - better than the L4 seller's price (which is a vintage era 1940-50 in excellent condition). I played pretty much the same era 125 over the w/e and it was really quiet acoustically of course - didn't bother trying it out plugged-in since I didn't want the P90.

So first question: Would it be a clean switch to swap the dog-ear P90 our for a Lollar CC, or would there be screw hole issues or worse? From what I've heard on youtube, I'm guessing the 125 shines plugged-in, so I shouldn't be worried there.

If this couldn't work out, I'd mod the L48, which is my second question: Does anyone know if L48 bracing would allow the CC pup in the traditional position (about 1" from the fretboard body join)? I know better than to do this to the L4, but a 48 seems a little more expendable - especially if the L4 is just as good acoustically and the L48 yields my CC dream-come-true. As for that L4 - I'm assured it's in excellent condition and thsi is my last question: Any thoughts on what's reasonable for a full-body 1940-50 era L-4 in exc cond with a lacquer touch-up? Already made an offer but want to know if I'm the one being unreasonable. I hope this doesn't all sound like crazinessand that you see what I'm trying to accomplish here: A sweet vintage acoustic archtop & and just as sweet plug-in sister.

BTW: I was asked in a past forum life to post a pic when I got the 48. Over a year later I have a half-assed one, but no time for anything better. If anyone's really interested, I attached one here.

post-65277-025064800 1399950967_thumb.jpg

Archived