Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt Esonic2 blend slider

amoxom

So my new plek'd masterbilt DR500MCE is great to play and when plugged in sounds pretty awesome aswell. Compared to my Martin JC16RE Aura, and Gibson songwriter with LR Baggs. The Esonic-2 sounds way more natural and not "quacky" at all like as the other pickups do. However, I do know the ESonics can be prone to some issues, and one thing I am noticing in mine is the blend control between the undersaddle pickup (nanoflex) and neck pickup (nanomag) when plugged into the mono jack, the nanoflex is very prominent, and the blend slider needs to be pegged nearly all the way over to the nanomag side before it is audible as a blended sound, and also seems to quiet. This leaves little to no room to sway it to a nanomag bias. When plugged into the lower nanomag only jack, its normal sounding as it should be. So I am wondering if the blend control is not functioning correctly?? Anyone else have similar findings?? Or should I talk to GC where I bought it. It's only a week old.

I didn't find mine to be quite that big a difference, but my assumption was that the bias in both positions was toward a "natural" sound which would be a prejudice toward the under saddle.

Possibly your mag may be built so it's a shade farther to the strings due to the setup?

m

Thanks.... But that does not sound logical due to the fact the nanomag only jack is loud and seems normal, which implies the mono/nanoflex jack is too biased to the nanoflex in most of its travel with the blending slider,

Whatever...

Any jack that only carries one of two pups will be rather clear regardless.

Any jack that carries a combination signal - such as from 2-3 pup electrics - will have sufficient difference that Gibson type two-pup electrics almost all have separate volume controls.

The combination of the two pups to achieve the claimed "natural" sound is likely to be biased toward the nanoflex. That's my observation on mine, although not to the degree you've mentioned.

Also, no pickup setups are identical on any guitar. The distance of a mag pup from the strings is a big deal, so is the type of string being used - the pup is, after all, magnetic. Different "steel" string types and gauges will respond differently to a magnet for obvious reasons. In fact, going back to the first mag pup flattops, especially, there have been many disagreements and arguments over what strings "work." There are a lotta opinions, but the bottom line is that all are discussing the type and gauge of string and distance from the pup and the signal then achieved.

m

Archived