Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer Mahogany Faded Cherry

Aurora200

Can anyone tell me about this guitar? I don't see it anywhere on the Gibson sites. Based on the pic of the certificate I am guessing it is a '76 Reissue made in USA in the Custom Shop? More pics when you click on the link.

Gibson Explorer Mahogany Faded Cherry on Ishibashi

311887580.jpg

311887580.jpg

These are the only details in english and it looks like an awesome find.

Body : 2 Piece Mahogany

Neck : 1 Piece Mahogany Set In Neck (Pieced Head Wing)

Fingerboard : Rosewood

Pickups : RHYTHM/’57Classic TREBLE/’57Classic

I think that U2's The Edge plays a late '70's Mahogany version and we know how good that can sound. There was a time when Eric Clapton played an original Korina version. This Mahogany one is very attractive in this price range. The Korina model is way overpriced for anyone but a collector. Perhaps I need to ebay a few of my other guitars to make room for this Japan only model.

I've seen the full ARMS concert a few times. There are a few gems in there. I really love the sound Clapton gets with the Explorer. He uses it on half a dozen songs in the film and uses it on the tour that year. I don't know if he ever used it live again. To my ears, the sound is like the middle ground between his Strat tone and his Blues Breakers/Les Paul/ES-335 tone. It really has a very complete sound. I'd be interesting to discover Clapton's opinions on the Explorer. He has talked about plenty of his other guitars in various interviews.

Archived