Gibson Brands Forums

Modding a Bonamassa Goldtop

Wolfy

I have JB Goldtop from the first run. It sounds and feels better than some Gibsons that I've played. But I knew that I could probably do a few things and make it even better. It kinda snowballed after I got started LOL! New Gibson 3 way switch, jack plate, wiring and 500k CTS pots. Also installed a bumblebee cap to keep it looking kinda vintage. The difference between then and now are like night and day! Has anybody done mods to theirs and to what extent?

• 2 months later...

Posts like this have me torn - first, I always want the most playable guitar I can get my hands on and I've modified more than a few guitars in my time. However, because of the limited run of these models, being lucking enough to get one and then modifying it is sort of an insult to those who weren't lucky enough to get one because of its limited run. Don't misunderstand what I'm getting at, I'm not discussing the electronics (switches, pots, wiring), but rather the visual bits - pickup covers, tuners, bridge, knobs, finish. I've watched more than one vid where the "ltd" owner has made major visual mods thus changing the guitar into just another modified Epiphone and completely destroying it's collectability.

To that latter group, I say this - maybe if you're looking for an axe to modify, buy the base model closest to the ltd edition model and then work that to your playability specs. That way, those of us looking for that collector piece have that one more chance at getting one before they're all snapped up.

Archived