Gibson Brands Forums

Min-ETune

ezrider

Just bought a Gibson SGM. This has the auto tune function noted.

Does not work well and randomly will not tune a string even though you have the green light. Guitar also does not stay in tune for long at all, even without playing it.

I understand this is an ongoing issue to the extent that Gibson has had dealers pull them out and replace them with standard tuners.

Is this a warranty job? It needs to go.

I think a lot of hate for the auto-tuners is a result of other things making a guitar go out of tune.

An auto tuner just tunes it for you...no more, no less. If it's not tuning, then maybe the tuner. If it IS tuning and going out, it's other things like strings not being stretched, sticking nut, you know, all the normal things we all have to deal with in keeping guitars in tune.

I've not tried auto-tuners as I'm simply not interested in them. I can see the point in some circumstances but it seems from what I've heard many do not like them. One GC around here refused to stock the 2015 models as the owner felt from feedback they would be unpopular and just not worth the trouble. He does have the 2016 models in store.

I suppose we can be grateful Gibson didn't extend the concept to the J-45 TV (a contradiction there!) or other acoustics.

I think it;s to the point of "politics"- you decide you don't like something and come up with all kinds of reasons why it doesn't work that aren't based on truth.

NOT saying that in reference to the above post.

I have my own reasons too- and basically, it's because none of my other guitars have them, and I don't want to get into a different "process" just for one guitar. Has nothing to do with how they work or IF they work.

I have tried them, and found they do work as advertised on the showroom floor.

And almost ALL the complaints I have read about or heard negative has nothing to do with them actually working or not, or failing. Those few that have told of actual failures are the ones that like them, and half the time it's because they had to learn something about how to calibrate them.

I might add, there are as much complaints, if not more, of people complaining about manual tuners not working properly. For the same reasons.

Just sayin. "I don't like them" and "They don't work well" is two totally different facts.

I wonder how many don't LIKE them because they THINK they don't work based on reputation?

Archived