Gibson Brands Forums

a fix for the no longer available battery gen 1

plbproductions4

Righter,

Sorry so long to respond... this hasn't been on my radar for a while. Yes, the Focus batteries worked very well, and the fact that each battery has 1500mA capacity is a boon for playing longer gigs without having to switch out batteries. When I bought my batteries & chargers from Focus they were 2 for $5.00, now it appears they are selling them for $9 each. You have to trim one of the chargers so it will fit in the cavity space and use a connector like the one on the OEM battery... I got mine from AliExpress. I also drilled holes for 3 brass inserts  and used thumbscrews to attach the backplate... I ordered a replacement from one of the guitar parts and drilled new holes for the thumbscrews. The thumbscrews in brass inserts won't see the wear of regular screws in wood and make removing the backplate, swapping batteries, and re-attaching quick and easy. Unfortunately, I have exceeded the allowable image uploads to the Gibson Forums... hopefully you can understand what I did.

• 4 months later...
On 5/17/2016 at 7:28 PM, plbproductions4 said:

I found this while trying to find a battery for my gen 1 robot.

http://www.wabbitwanch.net/blog/?p=1130

Purchased a AA x 2 battery holder from Amazon at £3.50. Removed the wires and soldered the original Tropical wires in their place, works a treat. Also a plus is you don't need to heat up the batteries to solder the wires to them as all the connections are in the holder, swap them out as and when you need..