Gibson Brands Forums

Blues 90 pickups in Blueshawk

LP Special

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used Blueshawk, and the pickups are a lot noiser than I expected, since it has a dummy coil that's supposed to cancel the hum (it's in there, I can see it). I'm not sure if it's not working, or not wired correctly, or just supposed to reduce the hum a littie bit, or what. Any advice?? Thanks!

LP Special

• 4 weeks later...

Hi LP,

I also just picked up a used Blueshawk. The p/us seem fine. I do get a bit of the "grounding" hum (slight buzz that goes away when you touch the strings) but that is there with my LP too.

If you put the selector in the middle position, you utilize the 2 p/us for hum bucking, and bypass the dummy - do you notice any difference with the noice level then?

Yes, I sure do; the middle position is much quieter. My tech says that my 'hawk sounds like it should - apparently, dummy coils don't necessarily eliminate all of the 60 Hz hum. Also, he says that the grounding issue is fairly common on electric guitars. My 'hawk seems to squeal at higher volumes, especially with gain. He says that this often happens with P90s that aren't dipped in wax to prevent microphonic squeal. In any event, I'm considering changing the pickups, maybe to Lindy Fralin's new hum-cancelling P90s. I read a great review of them in the latest issue of Vintage Guitar.

Thanks for your reply!

LP Special

No problem! Thanks for the pass-on re: the info from your tech.

It is pretty easy to open the plastic electronic covers on the back - maybe you can take a peek and see if someone bypassed the coil?

If you haven't been already, go here: http://www.blueshawk.info/the_hawk.htm and you can find pics & diagrams to help figure out what you are supposed to be seeing (maybe - it is pretty busy in the cavity back there!). I read some reviews & mods and people will change all kinds of things.

I just picked my BH out last night, did a good cleaning, new strings, took a peek at the electronics, then finally got to playing it - but just for a bit. SO far so good (but my 'ear' probably isn't what it should be!) The purchase was a bit of a surprise, 'but the BH fit what I was looking for (this time) after seeing a couple other semi-hollows. I am enjoying the size, weight, distinct/unique tonal functionality. I hope you enjoy yours!

Thanks so much, I'm sure I will! I've heard of other BH owners changing the pickups, so I don't think it's necessarily the best feature of this guitar. I certainly don't mind changing pickups when I find a great guitar. I have 6 other guitars, and have changed the pickups on 4 of them!

Cheers!

LP Special

Archived