Gibson Brands Forums

G-bird vs G-45 differences other than the obvious?

gibsonchiq

The prices are different because they are different builds, based off different standard guitars. You can read the specs on the Gibson website. One has electronics the other doesn’t, etc.   They are both economical level guitars, modeled after their namesakes, just not with the same woods/appointments/finish, so expect them to have a sort of shadowy resemblance to a hummingbird or a j-45, just perhaps not the full voice, if that makes sense.    

Because of the different shapes, square shoulders have more “space” for the air to move around in.  Squares sometimes are described as being a bit boomier than slopes.  So there will be a tonal difference. But how/whether it matters is really subjective.  

I have both styles, but there are so many other variables, like tone woods, etc, all I know is each brings their own voices to the party.  I have a J-45 Studio which is also sitka/walnut, like the Gs. It’s brighter than a J-45 standard because of the walnut, and it is a tad thinner but it still has a nice full tone that I like.  

Again, you just gotta play ‘em, one will sing to you more than the other. 

Folks here might be able to provide recommendations if you mentioned what sort of tone you are searching for.  

Edited by PrairieDog

I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and it seems like the generation variant of the guitar always seems thinner than the regular versions. I think the generation has a physically slimmer body as well, which Mike make up for that difference I guess

Nod, you were asking about the price difference between the two models and if there would be a tonal difference.  The shape is more than aesthetics.  That was what I was replying to. Given they are both sitka/walnut, they may sound fairly similar, or at least not as different as a standard J 45 and Hummingbird might, maybe just some more oomph in the square shoulder G.