Gibson Brands Forums

Kalamazoo Archtop Help

J.Anth

Im looking to buy a Kalamazoo Archtop but need help before I make a decision. Its a small 14 inch L-30 Copy. My questions are about the construction. Are the tops solid or laminated? If solid, carved or Pressed? If pressed what is the tonal difference between a carved and pressed solid top? Do they have top braces? Any help would be great. Im looking for a punchy, less sustaining tone for my music. I currently play a dreadnought and love it but I also love a quicker decay in tone of a small body.

Here is a link to some of my music, listen and let me know if you guys think the kazoo will work (in your opinion)

thanks

J.Anth

http://www.myspace.com/jasonavilamusic

HI J, wish I could help, but that ain't gonna happen, at least from me. I know the early L-30's were carved tops, but can't say for sure about the Kalamazoo's. You might want to try on the umgf. Zizala, who posts there from time to time, is an archtop expert and will be able to answer your question. My own sense is that the K's, being a less expensive brand, likely were not hand carved, but that's only guess.

Archived