Gibson Brands Forums

Finally Broke Down and Got the Best... Amp that is

CajunBlues

Used my annual bonus for an upgrade I have been wanting for a while now... Bought a new Fender Deluxe Reverb... I'll be selling my Blues Junior... The Blues Junior is a wonderful amp... But that vintage jazz tone comes out so nicely in the Deluxe Reverb...

Used my annual bonus for an upgrade I have been wanting for a while now... Bought a new Fender Deluxe Reverb... I'll be selling my Blues Junior... The Blues Junior is a wonderful amp... But that vintage jazz tone comes out so nicely in the Deluxe Reverb...

The 335/DR combination is an all time classic. I have a '66 BFDR and a '71 SFDR in my amp collection, at times I wonder why I have any other amps besides the Deluxe Reverbs. The Reissue benefits from bright cap removal, tube & speaker upgrades. If you can't swing NOS tubes, good new production choices are the Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7s and 6V6GTs. JJ 6V6S are also pretty good, but are a completely different tube and tonally resemble more of a 6L6GC. I don't care for the tone of JJ's 12AX7 in Fender BF & SF amps as they lack top end sparkle. They're fine in the V5 (vibrato) slot. For 12AT7s (V3 & V6) look for NOS RCA 12AT7s or the more robust 6201, or a less expensive but robust alternative, the JAN Phillips 12AT7, which is readily available.

The stock speaker on the Reissue is a Jensen C12K. They take a lot of flak for "ice-pick" tone. A common replacement is the Weber 12F150 25 or 50w, with the latter being a bit darker. Another highly touted replacement is the Celestion Gold alnico. Very expensive.

Speaker replacement is one of the cheapest and most non invasive way to color the tone.

The second is to replace the first preamp tube.

I have 3 deluxe reverbs and have used the following

Jensen C12N - cheapest, vintage tone.

Celestion 70th anniversary - My favorite great bottom, smoother highs.

Cannabis Rex - Darker good cleans, awsome overdrive tones.

I also have a Naylor, but they are harder to come by.

It is also subjective based on power tubes and first gain stage pre amp tube.

Archived