Gibson Brands Forums

1934? Gibson Roy Smeck Deluxe

unkovich

I have just recently come in possesion of a Roy Smeck guitar. Been looking online and found that it might be a 1934 or older. Having a closer look inside the body of this guitar noticed some wires leading to a jack at the base. Now looking all over the internet if Gibson released an acoustic/electric model and could not find any. It was my grandfathers guitar and he has had it since he was a teenager, he never used to play with an amp so I wouldnt think he would have an electric setup installed. If you have any info about it being an electric / acoustic please let me know.

Cheers

I would be amazed if any RSSDs came with electronics. They could be installed later of course.

Is there a number and/or letters inside the guitar? If so, it may be able to date it. Starting in 1935, Gibson used letter to designate the year:

A was 1935

B was 1936

C was 1937

D was 1938

E was 1939

Best,

-Tom

Look REALLY, REALLY, REALLY closely -- particularly at the neck block. They often are very faint.

Also, count the tone bars -- all I have seen have two, but there may have been some with three. Particularly the early ones.

Best,

-Tom

Archived