Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Bridge not central

garfy117

Hi all, I've just bought a luvverly new 335 (yay!)

Very happy with the looks and sound, but there's one thing that's concerning me - the saddles are cut off-centre on the bridge, and the reason for this seems to be that the bridge isn't drilled in centrally. It's not massive difference (a few mills, half a centimeter max*), but I do worry that if I ever want to change bridge or saddles to precut ones my strings will be off centre.

There's also a small hole/dent/chip in the fretboard (the centre of a knot in the wood, so it's natural, not damage)

I'm almost inclined to return the guitar (it's a *lot* of money to me), but just wondered if they were all like this and I was being too fussy?

Cheers,

Gareth

* as measured by lining a ruler up against the pickup mounts - not very scientific I realise!

The saddles being off-center is pretty typical - atleast some of the ones on my 336 were. Supposedly Gibson lines them up with the PUPs, then bangs 'em with a hammer to get the grooves right.

I turned a couple around for a short period and, though very noticable, there was not a big enough difference to matter - they were still over the poles/screws. You would have to see how bad yours are off though (doesn't sound like much).

As for the knot, I would not blame you if you are not happy - they ARE a lot of money! If every time you pick it up all you will see is that knot (& bridge) then swap it for 1 you like 100%! Guitars at dealers sometimes get all kinds of handling, and even out of the box may have issues (my new 335 had a surface grain flaw on the back, another 339 I wanted had a ding on the top). I debated/almost agonized going back 'cause I loved the 335 and they didn't have another satin - and that was stupid on my part - they had no problem trying to make it right 1 way or the other. Was much happier in the end then I would have been dealing with a flaw.

Maybe you can bring it back and just see if you find one that you know will make you happy? Or see if the little flaws are worth it cause it has that special sound? I had to go through 4 (335->339->336->336) before I was happy my last purchase.

Thanks; it's reassuring to know it's not just mine! The strings do line up really well with the pups , I was just concerned about the fact that the bridge posts could be out and it might limit my options in future.

When I use a straight edge to line up the two sets of pickup surrounds and then follow that line down to the bridge, on the bass side the adjustment screw is about 3 or 4 mm over the that line (2 or 3/32's?) and it's about about 1mm (1/32) short of it on the treble side.

I guess it's good advice to make sure I'm 100% happy though - especially as I've been told by my wife in no uncertain terms that this is the last guitar I'll be buying for about a decade! I just worry that as I can't get to anywhere that has a decent selection of guitars, it'll be an internet purchase again - so there's always the risk of swapping one set of problems for another...

Glad you found one that made you happy in the end though...makes the hunt worthwhile

Archived