Gibson Brands Forums

DR500P

Johno

I don't need another acoustic guitar but I really like this DR500P that is in a local small shop. It's greatly overpriced compared to big stores like Guitar Center or online stores like Sweetwater or Musicians Friend but I think I can get them to match the online prices of $549 if I bring in a printout of an online store price or at least the salesman there indicated it could be done.

All I can find are the pricing for the DR500P but this one says DR500PNS. It's a real beauty and sounds and plays great so I'm thinking of price bargaining with them but is there a price difference. It's got a kind of spalting to the maple so I'm thinking the N stands for natural and the S may stand for spalted instead of satin.

Is a DR500PNS the same as a DR500P? I have nothing to compare it with in person and I couldn't find any store online that specifies letters beyond P.

Any help would be appreciated so I can quote a fair and real price.

Well, Johno, the NS stands for the color type in the 2008 Catalog. The only option in the catalog is NS for the DR500P, which stands for Natural Satin. I own a DR500M (NA) which when I searched Sam Ash showed my guitar available in NS Natural Satin or NG Natural Gloss which is and has to be NA in Epiphones Catalog. It can be confusing, but your NS is Natural Satin while my NA (NG acording to Sam Ash) is Natural Gloss. Hope this helps.

Well, I pulled the trigger on that Masterbuilt DR500P.

They were selling it for $799 but I brought in printouts of ads I downloaded from internet sites like Sweetwater, Sam Ash, ZSounds and a couple others that all had it advertised for $549 so they agreed to meet the $549 price.

I had them put some new Ernie Ball Earthwood 11's, oil the fretboard and adjust the bridge and this baby sings. Practically plays itself.

I would highly reccomend this guitar. Solid spruce top with solid maple back and sides with a nice light spalting in the grain.

A nice companion to my 1978 FT145 birdseye maple. I like those blondes.

Archived