Gibson Brands Forums

Best strings for AJ-500RE

pianomanstan13

I recently bought an Epi Masterbilt AJ-500RE from GC and of course the strings are a bit used. I was wondering what the best strings are to replace the used ones, gauges from light to medium. I've used a takmine classical for years now and am training my fingers to use steel strings.

Also, what's the difference between wound and straight? (Not sure if that sounds right) Nickel? Bronze? Phosphor Bronse? I've heard of people mixing strings, different top strings and different bottom strings?

I'm looking to get a well-rounded sound for playing nearly any style, trying to learn 'em all. Guitar will predominently be used for rhythm strumming beginning soon. Thanks.

Until you find your favorite, most brands are fine, I use D'Addario Phos. Bronze when I want good and cheap and Elixir when I want my favorite.

I'd recommend 11's to break in your fingers and then move up to 12's. You can choose either 80/20 (brighter sound) or Phos. Bronze (warmer sound). Next time try the same size of the other type and see which you like. Nickel strings are for electric guitars with pickups under the strings, not acoustic/electric with p'up's under the saddle.

I'd also recommend not bother with mixing sets until you have more experience.

Similar to nylon string guitars, the bass strings are wound, the treble are plain. The 3rd string (G) can go either way, but is usually wound on acoustic.

(it'll be interesting to see if you get 1,000 different suggestions!)

I agree with eGN. In fact, I just changed mine last week. I have an AJ-500R. I use D'Addario EXP PB light 12-53. I've had this guitar for a little over two years, and I still think its one of the best sounding acoustics I've ever heard. Although the factory guys keep answering us forum inquirers that the strings that come from the factory are Gibson Masterbuilts, my original strings had the colored ball ends, ala D'Addario. Others here have reported the same thing. If you bought new, let us know what you find at the end of your stings, all brass balls or colors. I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions, but you won't be disappointed with these strings.

I also bought an AJ-500RENS from GC about 2 mos. ago and it came with the Gibson Masterbilt strings but I quickly put some Elixir Light Polyweb 12-53 and they really brought out the tone, are easier on the fingers and seem to last alot longer than others. They do take about a week or so of playing before they get to sound like they should, a little tinny when first strung up. I still haven't heard anything that sounds as full as this thing from all of my friends' guitars I've heard since I've had it.

Thanks alot for all the info. I have to agree, this guitar is the envy of every guitarist I know who doesn't have one lol. I played many guitars at GC for about 3 months, all comparing them to this one. Of course I couldn't find a better one in the price range or even in a better balanced tone.

Although I'm still looking for a better fitting case to go with it. I've got a Roadrunner right now, seems to fit just fine, some extra room here and there, and a little extra pressure on the neck when I close it, not sure if that's a real problem though.

Archived