Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing EJ-200 Tuning Pegs, what size pegholes?

tomworthington

Hi all. I'm interested in changing the original tuning pegs on my EJ-200 but don't want to buy the wrong ones. I can't seem to find the measurements etc.. for the originals but want to replace them with Grover Deluxe Keystones and these are the ones i found on most online shops.

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&G=1&sku=3754&ITEM=catalog/sku.html&CURRENCY=GBP

"Vintage appearance plus modern cast baseplates, keystone plastic knobs and 14:1 gear ratio. Threaded peghead bushings, washers and screws included. 10mm (13/32")-diameter pegholes required. Set of 6."

I obviously don't want to buy some that won't fit and am basically asking if these ones or similar ones will fit into the headstock of my epiphone guitar. I've had a friend who replaced his before and said that afterwards they buzzed a little as they were a little loose. I'm purely doing it for asthetic reasons only as it will make the headstock look bigger and more eye catching. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Thanks for the reply nicovantonder. Yeah those ones do look pretty similar and they say that you need 10mm (13/32") diameter pegholes required, the same as the Deluxe Keystones which is good. I just need to know for certain that the grovers on the factory built EJ-200 are the same as the ones you think. They do look identical but the difference of a few mm's could mean a bad fit. I'm no guitar genius so thats why i'm looking for a concrete answer. Any more help would be greatly appreiciated!!

I always take my babies to my local guitar technician, he always has the right advice and the guitar always sounds more alive after a visit.

Shop around and fin a technician that worked on a lot of guitars, so you can get the best advice.

I’m going to take my baby to get a whole makeover soon, new saddle, pins, maybe skim some wood from the box; I just know its going to sound awesome!

You'll have to put some pics of it online afterwards. Mine is in good shape and the action is really low which was lucky as my mates EJ-200 is a lot higher. I just want those Grover Deluxe Keystones like they have on Gibsons to make the headstock bigger, think it looks a lot better that way. I spoke to a fella in the local guitar shop and he wasn't that helpful and they're aren't any major guitar technicians in my area thats why i'm holding out hope of an answer on here. I've looked on the Epiphone website but it doesn't say what type of grovers are on the original EJ-200.

Archived