Gibson Brands Forums

ZENITH OR ZEPHYR ?

nonstick

O:) HELLO IVE JUST SIGNED UP TO THIS FORUM,SOME TIME AGO I PURCHASED WHAT WAS DESCRIBED AS A 1938 EPIPHONE ZENITH ELECTRA GUITAR,THIS WAS A BIT OF A GAMBLE AS I THOUGHT IT WAS CHEAP I BOUGHT ON ABAY AND IT WAS COMING FROM AMERICA.THE SERIAL NUMBER IS 3419 AND THIS CHECKS OUT TO BE ACTUALLY 1939 I THINK.BUT I KEEP DRAWING A BLANK WHEN IT COMES TO ZENITH ELECTRA, IVE LOCATED A 1939 ZEPHYR IN FRANCE WHITH IS NEARLY THE SAME. SO THIS IS WERE YOU COME IN. IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN ENLIGHTEN ME ON THE ORIGIN OF THIS TRUELY WONDERFULL OLD GUITAR AND IF IT IS AUTHENTIC, ANY INFORMATION NO MATTER HOW SMALL I WOULD BE MORE THAN GRATEFUL. REGARDS NONSTICK.

In 1939, Epiphone made both a Zenith and a Zephyr model. The Zephyr will have a pickup and a large removable access panel on the back of the body. Most Zephyrs also had a T-shaped metal badge on the headstock that says 'Epiphone' (the Zenith had a regular 'Epiphone' logo). Epiphone also made the 'Electar' line of electric instruments. Usually these will have a metal headstock badge that says Electar. If you can link to a picture, that would be very helpful.

A '39 Zenith, refinished blonde (courtesy of archtop.com).

39zenith.jpg39zenith_bk.jpg

Archived