Gibson Brands Forums

Second hand fakes

Guest alanhindle

Guest alanhindle

With all this talk of some very convincing fake Epis for sale in the new guitar market, I'm wondering if it is safe to buy a used guitar from anything other than an authorised dealer who can verify its history 100%. Surely buying used carries an even greater risk of getting a fake. Even so, buying and selling unseen used guitars over the web seems to be a practice which is growing exponentially.

Any thoughts?

Alan

You could easily have answered your own question. If there were and are fake new ones, there will

be fake used ones. And some of them are so good that they'll be traded in to unwitting dealers, too.

Best thing to do is get the hell off the brand name bandwagen, buy an off-brand guitar that's just as

good or better than an Epiphone, and buy yourself a nice gift with the money you save. After all,

"real" Epiphones are fakes, too.

i guess the fake seem to be aimed a little to the more exspensive guitars..mine the fake ace frehley..zack wyld and the custom eppis there the ones to be watching out for,the problem i had when doing research into the ace frehley eppi was and still is when were these guitars discontinued there seems to be no infornmation out there](*,)

Archived