Gibson Brands Forums

Great review by snookelputz: 2007 Gibson Les Paul Junior

Growler

Made on June 8th, 2007 as production model 116 at the Nashville, TN plant, This is Pi (named because, like the numerical constant her last name is 1416).

Package2010.jpg

I am prejudiced toward Juniors because I am too lazy to deal with more than one pickup if I don't have to. It is one of 3 guitars that regularly sit on the rack next to the amp. I traded a guitar I never much cared about for this one, so I don't know what it cost originally, and got a great deal! The tone is dark and heavy for a P-90, very influenced by the mass of mahogany it is mounted on. This is the darkest P-90/LP I've ever owned (maybe 8 of them, total). Previous owner had a very good setup done, even if his tech didn't crown the frets as much as I like. Too flat, and sometimes my finger callus catches when sliding. I know, I know - too much pressure, bad technique. Tone and volume knobs very much control the sound. Very responsive, within its range. Speaking of range, I heard a lot of talk about how much a one trick pony a single pickup guitar is...hogwash. This thing goes from from thick jazz to real rich, dark and heavy rock tones. Granted, not great at either extreme, maybe, but anything your fingers can play will be recognizable in terms of tone. If you are willing to put in the time experimenting to find out what the guitar can do. Changing your preferred picking or plucking point on the strings make more of a tonal change than switching from bridge to neck on most 2 pup guitars. It is a not thin neck that gets chunky to chubby the farther up you play. I can do the into to Sweet Child of Mine up at the 12th fret, but its probably as fast fingering and as high up as I'm comfortable playing. A bevel on the back of the cutout would improve upper fret access a lot. The neck itself seems to somehow pull my left thumb up over the top, which naturally means any rapid motion up the neck gets stuck somewhere around the 10th or 11th fret. Sometimes not quite either one or the other. Yeah, more bad technique. What can I say? I'm a natural anti-role model. It is a guitar that wants to be coaxed, and cajoled for its favors. Its really, really simple. It says exactly what your fingers tell it to say - whether you are as eloquent as a preacherman, or a sour-souled grinch, if you don't get it from this guitar, you didn't put enough into the guitar. Sometimes I think it is possessed by a capricious spirit. But when you get it right, and show it who's the boss...

Anyway, if it were lost, stolen, broken or deserted me for another player - I would want to kill someone and steal his immediately.

Sometimes I think it is possessed by a capricious spirit.

Fantastic review!!! and I quoted my favorite part. =P~ Thanks so much for sharing that, I am real eager to play one of the new Gibson models ASAP.

Here comes the GAS attack!!! =D>

Archived