Gibson Brands Forums

High E on Dot always drops out of tune

badtzwang

Hey guys. I'm a bit of a guitar noob so I am asking for some advice here.

The High E on my Epiphone Dot won't stay in tune anymore. It'll go flat and then I'll have to tune up to get it back in tune but literally after 5 mins of playing, it will go back out of tune. I remember moving my guitar back from college using my gig bag and it getting hit by a swinging door pretty hard on my way home. I am guessing why this is happening now.

I've tuned up on my guitar so much that the High E String actually broke. I currently put a new string on, but it still can't keep in tune. I am guessing maybe my High E tuner needs some tweaking? It seems like it isn't tight enough(?) or doesn't have enough pressure? Can anyone help me find out how to "tighten" it?

Any help is appreciated.

Guest alanhindle
Hey guys. I'm a bit of a guitar noob so I am asking for some advice here.

The High E on my Epiphone Dot won't stay in tune anymore. It'll go flat and then I'll have to tune up to get it back in tune but literally after 5 mins of playing' date=' it will go back out of tune. I remember moving my guitar back from college using my gig bag and it getting hit by a swinging door pretty hard on my way home. I am guessing why this is happening now.

I've tuned up on my guitar so much that the High E String actually broke. I currently put a new string on, but it still can't keep in tune. I am guessing maybe my High E tuner needs some tweaking? It seems like it isn't tight enough(?) or doesn't have enough pressure? Can anyone help me find out how to "tighten" it?

Any help is appreciated.[/quote']

Does it make little pinging sounds when you bend strings or tune up? If so, this would indicate string binding. Use pencil graphite in the nut slot . You could also carefully rub an old string of the same gauge in and out of the slot a few times to smooth off any rough edges but be careful not to widen or deepen it. However, string binding is more common on the middle strings where they have to turn more of a corner in to the nut.

My two guesses are that either you haven't got the string gripped properly on the post when you restring it, in which case check out this video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Oclc4MHWbzw&feature=user

Or, as you say, the tuner could be your problem. The screw on the side of it tightens it up if it feels like there's not much tension when you turn it. If none of the above works and you think your accident has damaged it, I would suggest you take it to be repaired.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

As it happens, I have been stringing my guitar incorrectly for the past 6 years (scary isn't it)! I would never have guessed that the way I strung my guitar was the reason for this. I've never had a problem like this before. Thanks for the advice guys. Now my high E is fine.

Archived