Gibson Brands Forums

bridge buzz

bill67

Check the bridge nuts on the inside. Under either some plastic plugs or ones made of pearloid on the bridge, next to the pins are bolts. Inside there are nuts and washers. I had one rattle for a year before it finally fell off.

Use your inspection mirror, you do have one don't you?, and a flashlight to see them. You may be able to snug them up by hand. Better still use the correct sized socket to fit it. Don't use the socket handle, just the socket. Dab a bit of white glue on the threads before re-installing. The glue will act as a thread locker. Just thread them tight by hand with the socket. Using the handle, you can crush the wood fibers.

Also, while you're using your mirror, check for suspended balls. A suspended ball results from installing strings and having, usually the thinner ones, them get wedged between the pin (not in the groove) and the pin hole. When you push the pin home, the ball gets pushed away from the sound board and is suspended, thereby being allowed to rattle at certain frequencies.

Check the smoothness of the saddle where the strings break towards the nut. If the wires have worn grooves in the saddle, the strings might buzz as they jump in and out of the groove as they vibrate. Have the saddle re-dressed or replaced.

Every guit tar player should have an inspection mirror to check things inside the guitar. I found a hand mirror sold in the cosmetics aisle. It is oblong and just narrow enough to fit through the sound hole. Smaller inspection mirrors can be found in the tool aisle. Stewart-Macdonald sells them on line as well. Stew-Mac even has a folding mirror. It's rectangular and hinges into three pieces so it can be folded for insertion into the guitar hole then unfolded inside for a wide angle view. I suspect one could be made from a cheap plastic locker mirror, cut with a plexiglass knife, then 'hinged' with masking tape.

ONe caveat on a mechanic's inspection mirror. These usually have metal telescoping handles and ball joints to allow you to swivel the mirror. These ball joints have bolts and nuts sticking out of them. Not usually a problem for use by an auto mechanic, but these sharp edges can do damage if raked across the sound hole. Either tape the joint or be very very careful using near fragile wooden guitars. That's why I don't prefer them.

Archived