Gibson Brands Forums

490r pickup question

placemat

Hey guys, I have a gibson les paul studio from around 10 years or so ago (basis no-frills model, no pickguard, etc.). At some point I switched out the neck pickup for a p-94. I am assuming that the original neck pickup is a 490r (it doesn't say anything except Gibson on the bottom, no model number). Anyhow, I am wanting to replace the bridge pickup on my Dot Studio, and was wondering if I took the gibson (490r?) from the neck position in the Les paul, could this work in the bridge of my dot studio even if it is supposedly calibrated for the neck position? Hope this makes sense. thanks!

It'll "work" but how well will it work is the real question. The pole piece spacing is probably narrower but that in itself is not a biggie. The lack of separate volume controls on your Dot Studio may be a problem if the two pickups don't balance well volume-wise. Easy enough to try, since you only have to pull the pickup switch out on a Dot Studio to do a pickup swap.

Ahhh, good point about the volume control issue. Also, you sorta answered my second question, but could you elabrate on the changing of the pickups. I've done this before on other guitars, but not a Dot. All of the connections are made on the pickup switch? Thanks for the help.

I've done this before on other guitars' date=' but not a Dot. All of the connections are made on the pickup switch?[/quote']

On a Dot Studio, yes - because of the single controls. A "regular" Dot has 2 vol/2 tone and has pickup wires soldered to pots just like others with that control setup.

Archived